Will this be a fail?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HannahC

Sep 22, 2015
I took my BHS Stage 1 exam yesterday and want to know if I have failed because of 1 mistake.

I was riding a horse who I have ridden before who has a problem cantering with the correct lead on the right rein. I realised the problem and tried to correct it but basically couldn't.

I am wondering if this would be an automatic fail. The horse has always cantered with the incorrect lead on the right rein and my instructor has always said its not up to me (in stage 1 anyway) to re-school this horse.

What do you guys think? Is it a fail?

I'm not sure. The fact that you did try and correct it would show that you realised that there was a problem. Try not to worry about it, you can't change what has happened now. Hope it isn't too long a wait for your results.

A friend of mine on NR and a good rider failed her BHS Stage 1 riding. If this exam is needed for your professional training, ignore any fails and simply retake. I ride out regularly with trainees taking these exams and it is a toss up. Some of the best riders have to retake. The sad thing is that some people dont bother to finish the course. I myself mistrust exams and competitions of any sort. But if it a qualification you need, it is best to persevere.

I am not sure also about your riding a horse you already knew? Many people going to take these exams need to ride a horse they have not met before.

Thank-you for the comments.

Skib - I knew the horse as the centre where I take lessons is where I had the exam so was able to ride many of the horses included on the exam.

Hmmm it would be a harsh examiner who failed you for knowing the lead was wrong and trying to correct it. Exams should be there to find out what you know, not make you, as you say correct a RS horse.

In hindsight it's a little unfair to give you a horse that has this fault in an exam.
If you realised and attempted to ask again, it shows you could feel the horse was wrong.
So I wouldn't fail you on a move a horse can't do.

We were all concerned we would fail on the mounting of the horse! We all passed.

Reactions: Justamare
newrider.com