BHS Gold membership & update on part-loan!!!

LexxLizz

Dec 11, 2011
Soooo... ask me if I could wait to phone RS to find out about the TB I so badly want to loan - of course I couldn't!!!! :redcarded:

Called just now and they have said: both weekend days are fine to be mine, along with one day in the week -YIPPEEEE! (this is only until Feb though when i can do two week-days and one weekend day, OR unless someone else pays an interest in him)!!!!! YAY!

They will be needing - £140 (eeeeek!) for my first months part-loan payment upfront, me to fill out some basic paperwork saying the loan will be taken for a min of 2months, and also proof of insurance covering me, horse, and public liability.
Then he is all mine ready-to-go I can ride him in the school, take him out on hacks and on the three days he is ALL my responsibility. The only thing I can't do is go to shows with him, although he would be mine to ride at any shows that they (RS) hold.

The only thing I can see getting my goat with this is me wanting him all to myself... :(

So my question is this: I have heard good things about BHS Gold Membership and it covering me insurance wise for all of the above at £62 for the year -- is this correct? And does anyone else have it? Are there other, better insurance people??? (sorry, newbie to all this insurance business) :happy:

gosh £140 for a part loan is pricey! BUT you love him so thats fab!

when you say insurance for horse - what do you mean? as in vets fees?

Insurance for myself, the horse and public liability -- all the information I was given is: 'so it covers him for the just-incases, like if you're riding him and he goes lame'.

I don't really know what that means myself :unsure:

Brilliant news that you can have the horse that you want, when you want him it was obviously meant to be:dance::dance:

I've got BHS Gold as have a few people on here but I am going to agree with Julie - you need to ask what sort of insurance they are expecting you to have. The BHS wont cover you for vet fees but will cover you and horse for PL etc. If they're are expecting you to insure for vet fees - your monthly costs are going to shoot up:frown:

Insurance for myself, the horse and public liability -- all the information I was given is: 'so it covers him for the just-incases, like if you're riding him and he goes lame'.

Just seen your reply = see my reply!!:frown: IMO the £140 per month should cover this

absolutely wouldnt expect you to take out full insurance regarding the horse at all....

i loan out Major to two part loaners - i have the insurance running and its included in their part loan contributions.

on the loan days are you expected to go up twice a day and muck out etc?

Hmmmm....here I go again - sorry LL this really isnt to put a downer on your lovely find!:redface:

But if owner is asking you to insure the horse, firstly how much is it to be valued at, if over a certain value it will need a vet cert. Has she got it insured - if so wouldnt it be more sensible for you to pay the monthly premium and just keep it running. But if this is the case do check she hasnt cancelled it! Also if your loan is only so many days a week - why are you paying its insurance in full? What if it is injured or whatever when one of their clients are riding it - are you then still responsible for the vets fees?

Also (over here anyway) almost all insurance that covers vet fees has a clause where you pay the first so much of a vets bill.

I really think this all has to be absolutely crystal clear - if the horse has a past or low level medical issue that you are not aware of(but they are!:frown:), it could get very, very costly for you.

Sorry -......I hate myself sometimes so feel free to rage at me for being such a cynic!:redface::unsure:

Hmmmm....here I go again - sorry LL this really isnt to put a downer on your lovely find!:redface:

But if owner is asking you to insure the horse, firstly how much is it to be valued at, if over a certain value it will need a vet cert. Has she got it insured - if so wouldnt it be more sensible for you to pay the monthly premium and just keep it running. But if this is the case do check she hasnt cancelled it! Also if your loan is only so many days a week - why are you paying its insurance in full? What if it is injured or whatever when one of their clients are riding it - are you then still responsible for the vets fees?

Also (over here anyway) almost all insurance that covers vet fees has a clause where you pay the first so much of a vets bill.

I really think this all has to be absolutely crystal clear - if the horse has a past or low level medical issue that you are not aware of(but they are!:frown:), it could get very, very costly for you.

Sorry -......I hate myself sometimes so feel free to rage at me for being such a cynic!:redface::unsure:

I'm sorry LL but i TOTALLY agree with Cortrasna.....

and £140 is very expensive for a part loan....mine pay £65 each a month....

Hmmm, I don't know about that, they should have insurance for the horse.

I am a sharer too and have BHS Gold, it gives me riders insurance - so incase I have an accident and hurt myself, and public liability - which I think covers me for something like, I dunno, my horse kicking a car. I THINK that's how it works anyway. But my key one was the riders insurance. You also get free legal advice from BHS which I think is really useful.

It might be worth giving them a call, I think they are pretty helpful. They also have loan contract templates on their site, it might be worth having a look at it and see how it compares to yours.

Oh, and £140? That's expensive!!!

Eeeekkkk yup ... £140 is a lot of money for a part share, especially when you then have to pay insurance on top of that.

I can understand them wanting you to cover third party liability (for you and the horse ... BHS would be fine) but if they want him insuring through you for loss of use/vets fee`s etc then it will soon mount up.

I only pay £80 right now to keep my 2 a month. Yes, hay/trim/insurance are all extra, but even so it`ll work out about the same as they`re wanting you to pay for just a couple of days ?

I`d have a long think about it sweets xx You could full time loan a horse of you`re own for the same money.

Just to add - I also think £140 is pretty steep - do they expect you to 'work' on your days too - i.e muck out your horse etc. etc.? In other words on your days it will be complete DIY livery?

Just to add - I also think £140 is pretty steep - do they expect you to 'work' on your days too - i.e muck out your horse etc. etc.? In other words on your days it will be complete DIY livery?

Yeah :( :( :( it's a lot of money isn't it? :(

i kinda assumed that LL would be paying half a full livery fee...so like half £280 a month? is that about the cost of full livery?

will he still be used in the riding school for lessons?

My partner has just pointed out, if I put the money to one side that I would be using to part-loan him for 7months, I could have enough to buy a TB of his standard for my own... :(

i kinda assumed that LL would be paying half a full livery fee...so like half £280 a month? is that about the cost of full livery?

will he still be used in the riding school for lessons?

£55 pw is full livery.
He is their horse on the days he is not with me... :(

Oh LL - I could cry for you......cant you move to Ireland? I'll lend you the Dolly for 3 days a week - no charge, just give her a cuddle and be kind to her!:frown:

Am sorry but I agree with your OH - if it were me and they def want him insured for vet fees - i'd be walking away as there's too many ifs and buts for me.

However, if he is already insured and they can show you proof of this, I might offer to pay the insurance for the 3 days a week that he'd be mine but it really should be included in the £140 IMO

Hi...Just to buck the trend - I used to do 3 days a week and it was £45 a week, like you the split cost of the full livery and she was worth every penny - but then a lesson and a hack around here would be well over that a week so that is the other way to look at it....

I had (still have) gold membership for myself covering me if I was to have an accident or something happened on the road but the owner had the horse insurance, infact even when I full loaned right up until I bought her, I think it's best like that as the horse was ultimately still her responsibility?

Last edited:
Oh Hun, I hate raining on your parade, but it is expensive (so you know, I pay £100 a month, that was pretty average when I was looking), and it sounds like they are taking you for a ride a bit with the insurance. :frown:

My partner has just pointed out, if I put the money to one side that I would be using to part-loan him for 7months, I could have enough to buy a TB of his standard for my own... :(

He's right you know. Sorry Hun but I would wait for my own. 7 months isn't long really. Especially looking you wold get excited. And the others are right what happens if you can't ride him, something happens to make him lame for instance on a day you haven't got him. back to square one.

newrider.com