Best 'Safety' stirrups?

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
I'm a fan of the good old Peacock stirrups - practical, easy to repair, guaranteed to do their job if I come off.

However, fussy daughter thinks them ugly, and would like a more grownup version...:rolleyes:
Any suggestions? It's getting to be a pain changing over irons each time I ride!

I like the bent iron ones, not supposed to be ble to get your foot caught in them but thankfully i have'nt yet found this out.

Sprenger style stirrups are fantastic but they're not strictly safety stirrups as you can definitely get your foot caught. They're only really 'safe' if you use them with very open e-rings or barnes buckles.

Thank you!
The Barnes buckle looks a possibility, shame their demo movie link doesn't work, would like to understand how the release mechanism works in a fall.

ETA Will the Barnes buckle fit (if fitting is an issue) Sprenger stirrups? Have been reading other forums, not clear if it will or not!

Last edited:
If you'd be more comfortable, then go for it.
I don't think there's any good reason why you can't use your own leathers etc with any horse as long as you ask first, they're safe/good quality, and you put everything back as it was when you're done.

Those Barnes buckles just saved me from probably a broken leg today, I've had them for ages and never needed them until today, it popped off no problem. Definitely reccomend. However if you do get them, make sure you put the elastic bands on that keep the pieces from being lost when you fall. My piece was right infront of me in the paddock, but it could easily have been lost as I dont have the elastic things!

I should think it would be pretty difficult to get my foot stuck in my Sprengers, as my feet never move an inch in the stirrups. It's probably to do with my riding too, but I've not lost one since buying them, and the one time I have fallen off my feet were out of them anyway!

I've got Sprenger style stirrups, and agree about them not moving or getting lost during riding, but I have fallen off and taken the whole saddle halfway down Willow's side before my foot came free.

ETA: I don't see why BB's wouldn't fit, the top loop is like a standard stirrup. I hope so anyway, because they're on my wish list for HOYS!

newrider.com