Before I put my skis on, oops

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
We arrived in Seefeld in Tirol yesterday at 11. I hired my cross country skis and booked my first ever lesson. Then my husband went skating and I thought I would have a go. After 30 seconds I fell and dislocated and fractured my right wrist :(:eek:

So if I just Like your posts rather than replying to them you will all know why!

*sigh*

Oh no that's awful! Ouch.

I remember my dad taking my brother and I to a roller rink (roller skates) when we were kids, within 2 strides he fell over twice, chipped a bone and damaged his shoulder and elbow on the other side.

Get well soon.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awful. What a rotten way to start a holiday. :(:(:(:(:(

Oh thats crappy, I hope its not hurting too much and you get to at least enjoy a log fire in the lodge with a few bevvies to soothe it ;) :p

Oh dear Jane! Poor you! Hope you're not in too much pain and you manage to have a nice time regardless.

Ice skating is more dangerous than horse riding!! I went for the first time aged 15. Doing quite well when someone ran into me and knocked me over. She was fine. I got a dislocated knee and hip and was on crutches for 12 weeks whilst doing my GCE's!
Hope you heal quickly and still manage to enjoy your holiday. It's a lovely place isn't it?

Ouch and sorry to read but it did make me chuckle (is that bad?) My husband did something similar the first time we went snowboarding, first day we were whizzing down the piste and he collided with a skier! Broke three ribs and spent the rest of the holiday in agony, at least I waited until the last day to have an accident.
Seriously though I hope it's not too sore and you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday doing something more gentle. x

Jane I am so sorry. When we took grand daughters skiing at Somerset House for a few years. I wanted to try and daughter wouldt let me in case I fell and broke an arm. But I had somewhat dismissed this till you posted!
Are you by any chance a Chalet School reader? We went to Pertisau in summer but I always wanted to go to the Achensee in winter, if you are unable to ski.

I have pasted this from a Seefeld visitor reporting on line, as Seefeld rang a bell.

"Jenbach (next town east) station is perhaps unique in Europe if not the world in that on either side of the main (Austrian State Railway) platforms are narrow gauge lines (different gauges) belonging to different companies, both of which still use steam engines, one exclusively, (and they are believed to be the oldest working steam railway engines in the world), the other with steam trains alternating with diesel railcars. The latter has a very interesting beer wagon.

We use the all-steam one to go to Pertisau. A ticket inspector comes round the outside of the (open) carriages on the running boards, checks our tickets and then gives sweets to all the children travelling. Also notable is the number of passengers who use the intermediate stations.
The last part of the journey is by boat on Europe’s highest lake, the Achensee. Pertisau, thinly disguised, is first of . . . . the locations for the Chalet School in Elinor Brent-Dyer’s books. "

The Achensee was once in the 19th century a fashionable holiday place - my grandmother visited with her wealthy German cousins.

Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery. My OH visits Austria a lot on business, but it often seems to involve skiing too :rolleyes:...he raves about how wonderful it is. Hope you have a fantasitc holiday despite your injury!

Oh dear!!! My sister broke her wrist on day 2 of 10 day Canadian ski trip. She had decided to try snowboarding and fell backwards at a standstill and fractured her wrist! She had it plastered and then carried on skiing for the rest of the holiday.

Hope you have a good rest even if u don't get to actually ski!

newrider.com