barefoot trimmer in north east anyone?

Beccy Smith

Equine Body Worker
does anyone know of a barefoot trimmer in north east-i'm based in east yorkshire. i love my farrier but would like another opinion or even advice i can pass on to my farrier. i have a 4 yr old with grass trim, a 5 yr old and a 8 yr old with normal shoes, and a 6 yr old TB with unexplainable laminitis and heart bars and am exploring barefoot trims before my paddocks dry up and get hard

I was considering bare foot trimming myself until i spoke to my farrier who advised to stay away from them as they are not properly qualified farriers and in the long run do a lot of damage to the hoof capsule and surrounding structures. My farrier is superb and would recommend him to anyone in the West/North Yorkshire area, he is called Tom Eastwood. Hope that helps

I was considering bare foot trimming myself until i spoke to my farrier who advised to stay away from them as they are not properly qualified farriers and in the long run do a lot of damage to the hoof capsule and surrounding structures. My farrier is superb and would recommend him to anyone in the West/North Yorkshire area, he is called Tom Eastwood. Hope that helps

It is sad that farriers are so anti barefoot. But then I guess the trimmers do take away their business from them.
Unfortunately there are a lot of 'cowboy' barefoot trimmers out there that have given it a bad name, there are many out there that undergo intensive training that are not going to do any harm at all to the horses hooves, and they do have a qualification for trimming. No they dont train as long, but then they only need to train in the trimming process, one which is used for every hoof no matter what. Farriers also have to learn the full process of shoeing, from making the shoes to fitting them and also some remedial work so that is gonna make their training longer. Obviously both farriers and barefoot trimmers also learn the full anatomy of the hoof, assesment of the horse etc etc. :D

Just my view on the subject, but I know I choose barefoot over shoeing or even just trimming by the farrier.

newrider.com