Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Barefoot

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Barefoot, Use Boots On Occasion

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Barefoot, Use Boots All the Time

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
I've said shod front two, however he is having these off in the next month and I'm going to buy a set of front boots for him in the new year, provided I can find a pair that fit.

Red is barefoot, though if I buy him I may put fronts on him depending on where I keep him as he can get a bit footy on stoney ground

Can't vote on phone either. Joy is barefoot alround but I use boots as and when I need to. Would happily use boots forever if needed.

We have all manner of different methods, each horse has different needs, so we are like Mr. Pooh, we have all and everything inbetween.

Currently voted for shod all round but at the end of november I am planning to take his shoes off for a while as I dont ride then and it will be interesting to see how he manages. Any issues and I will either get boots or put shoes back on. I plan to play it by ear.

Shod all round until end of November - then they are coming off for 3 months to allow for a bit of natural growth - IF she doesnt get footy in the field that is.

I put barefoot all round but I have only just gone barefoot and haven't got boots yet - she is managing fine on grass and tarmac but struggling a bit with the chunky gravel stuff in the forestry so I am in the process of looking for boots while I harden her feet with lots of walking on the road.

We started off barefoot as my mare had never been shod in her life and she has wonderful tootsies..as soon as we started hacking out she wore heaps off her hooves..cue cavallo boots, sadly they only lasted 3 weeks on the rough sandy forest tracks so we are now shod all round..and shoes are wafer thin within 6 weeks!!!

should'nt complain i defo get my moneys worth out of them lol!!!

semi-retired TB- still hunts occasionally - barefoot all round
TB youngster coming into work - barefoot all round
dumblood, does everything, - barefoot all round
PC pony, welsh cross - hunts/huntertrials/SJ etc - barefoot all round

:dance:

ETA used to use boots, still got some kicking around, but not used them for years - but I WOULD if I had to transition a horse that needed them.

Last edited:
Henry is barefoot and booted, just before I bought him in 2009 he managed to injure himself by (we believe) standing on his own hoof, it was cracked in the rear quarter from the coronet band downwards. Farrier advised that by the summer the whole rear quarter of the hoof would come off and that I'd not be able to get shoes on him, as it was the middle of winter I decided to whip his shoes off until the damage had grown out.

18 month later I still haven't got round to having them put back on!

His feet are really nice now, when he was shod it was every 5 weeks and they looked pretty naf most of the time and he was prone to loosing shoes.

Not enough options for me either. One barefoot and booted sometimes, the other shod part of the year and then not and booted the rest of the time. I'm also thinking of giving glue on shells a try for her, to see if they're a viable alternative to nailed on shoes.

newrider.com