Barefoot 3 weeks and Im pretty happy!

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
We had Rosie's shoes taken off 3 weeks ago on 8th August. I was happy with my farrier's trim - they just look 'right'. I had a chat with him about things and am confident in his skills.
I posted pics on facebook of new feet (if you're interested https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150360101038793.399803.608888792) and sent them off to Saddlery Shop for an opinion about boots and generally comments are favourable!
I have acquired a rasp (OK stole one off my husband from the shed) and have been keeping on top of the worst of the chips just to tidy them up and keep a roll on although they are now get a little uneven but Im struggling to find a trimmer who can come out to me within the next week. Farrier isnt due until early Oct as we both had holidays so couldnt fit anything in. I do feel someone who knows what they are doing needs to rebalance them.
I bought some easy care trail hoofboots and have spent this week getting used to them. Rosie is really tolerant of stuff like that and as soon as I kept her too busy to think about them she forgot about picking her feet up in spanish walk and just got on with it! Today we did 5 miles at mainly trot with front boots on, on quite springy ground after the rain. She showed no signs of resistance or reluctance today now she's getting used to it all. The first couple of days she was really slow in trot but I think that was partly about new boots and partly about her hinds on hard ground. I didnt push her and she was happy to go so I let her!
Here's her feet today if anyone's interested. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150375791078793.404383.608888792

Yes saw your pics but didn't have anything to say as they are diddy on my phone!

I will just say that I think you'd be the first to notice if anything is off with Rosie and only time will give you confidence.

My farrier comes out about every 8 weeks.

I just keep an eye on the growth and the mustang roll.

If you tilt the hoof and place the rasp across it, you will be able too see where it needs to be balanced. Though it depends on how your horse wears it all down.

newrider.com