Balancing Trick - new saddle

LisaD

Sep 14, 2000
Visit site
I have just bought a Thoroughgood Heather Moffat saddle. My old saddle did not encourage good position, I had to fight to keep my legs under me, however it was comfy and I did manage with it for 3 years. I have been riding in the new saddle for 6 days and I am finding it hard to balance. I am advised that my position is much better but it doesn't feel right. How long can I expect for this transition to last, I feel like I'm back to square 1?

It's probably good that you're feeling weird - that means that SOME change is going on! You feel kind of funny because your right-brain system is 'rewiring' its system, but it should feel all right after a while. You don't feel right because you might have been riding in the WRONG position with your older saddle, so when you're suddenly changed to the correct position, you'll need some time adjusting to it. I'm not sure for how long, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Dunno about the balancing thing, though.

Please let us know how you get on with it, I've been considering one, so it would be really interesting to hear about your experiences. If you decide to sell it let me know!!!!

Lisa
I am having a similar problem. I would have like to have bought a "Heather" saddle but they are not yet made to fit my cob! So I have purchased a Wintec 2000 synthetic with adjustable gullett.

I am really pleased with it and I use it in conjunction with Heather's seat saver and I am definitely sitting in a much better position than with my old english GP saddle although I realise the stirrup leathers will still not be in the position of Heather's saddles but they do seem to be in a better position.

However whilst riding I can feel my upper thigh muscles stretching (!) but although I thought I would be really stiff afterwards to my surprise I was not. I think it is just a case of your muscles adapting and it shouldn't take too long as they are used to having to do all sorts if you are a regular rider!!

Has anyone else out there bought the Wintec 2000?

New saddle update...

This weekend got me my best results ever in both dressage and SJ, so something is right. Apparently my legs are still too far back but this is defifately habit of trying to force my legs back with my old saddle. I can however ride with a much longer stirrup for dressage and can sit much more quietly in the trot. Yes I recommend the saddle and it fits my horse very well. I'm supposed to be doing a 25 mile ride with the EHPS this weekend - that will be the big test. For anyone thinking of buying, check the prices, mine cost £240 (CAM), but I've seen the exact same saddle for £299!!!

newrider.com