At last, a steed to ride! (& opinions plz!)

Colorado Sunset

Oct 19, 2004
Bristol/London
Visit site
So, after all the years of searching through magazines and the internet for a horse to share in SW London, all to no avail, I have finally found (been offered actually!) a horse to ride :D

One of the girls at my yard has moved and asked me if id like to ride her pony to help keep him fit. I can ride whenever I like, do whatever I like with him and pay... nothing! :eek:

Now Im all excited about this, and think I have a great deal, theres no doubt about that. It all got me thinking though, what do you guys think... should you pay someone to ride your horse, as its a favour, or have someone pay for the privelidge?? I would be happy to pay to share a horse, so in my case its a pretty good deal, but what separates the two?

Your opinions appreciated

Jo

I was contacted by a woman who wanted help breaking and bringing on some qulaity ponies. As I read the email I was thinking-god she's gonna want some contribution towards this especially if I'm competing and stuff and I'm skint. Then I got to the bottom and there was this really intense appology that SHE wouldn't be able to PAY me due to ill health!! :eek:
Sorry this doesn't really help but its interesting how people see things so differently. Like, when I worked at my RS I'd have paid for my lesson so I could ride one of the youngsters, whilst their owners were paying the yard to bring them on! :rolleyes:
vicki xx

I've been paid to ride before... it was originally supposed to be a share agreement whereby I was contributing towards the horse's cost, but as I was only schooling it, she ended up paying me! :eek:

To put it simply, if the person riding the horse is likely to improve the horse to the point it is worth more money to you, I'd expect to pay.

If you don't want the horse improving and your horse stands more chance of giving the rider experience than vice versa, I'd expect to be paid.

From your point of view Id say not paying makes it a lot less formal. There are a couple of people who ride my horse for free on Thursdays, then my sharer who has monday and friday and pays. I contact my sharer regularly and she always has those days, whereas the others I never contact and sometimes turn up and say I dont need them after all.
I ride a couple of horses for free and it's very flexible - if I was paying Id expect more say over what they do and when I ride.
So maybe that's a difference you need to consider? That basically you're just doing each other a favour rather than riding under a proper share agreement?
Plus - if the horse gets injured who's fault is it? If you dont have a contract or anything then who pays if the horse gets injured whilst youre riding or on your day (if you have one). What happens if the owner suddenly can or cant make it?
All stuff to consider :)

xxx

I think if you have a share agreement the idea is that you share the horse and the costs too! Horseowning isnt cheap and i think alot of owners have sharers to ease the load somewhat. I think the main difference is if you are simply schooling the horse and have no interest in it. Then the owner may pay, esp if it was a training situation. But other than that i think the sharer makes a contribution!

And congratulations, glad you've finally found something!!

newrider.com