Are paint horses a good breed???

Myah_FV

Feb 26, 2006
California
Hi!! Are paint horses a good breed to get?:confused: I'm not so sure at all. My mom is going to get me two paint horses and i'm not sure if they are a good breed. [One of the paints are mine.the other is my mom's.] Thanks!!!!:D :cool:

In reality, if you really have no traits that you NEED (such as conformation or general nuild for a sport like dressage vs showjumping), any horse will do. It also depends on the kind of paint horse you get (paint vs pinto- you may not know there is a difference)

paints are basically quarter horses/appaloosas with specific coloring

pintos are basically your english-type horses- lighter, taller builds such as thoroughbreds and warmblood and saddlebreds, etc.

That said, for general all-round use, any colored horse will do the job if it's got the personality for you.

paint horses

Paint horses are great. I have 2 and they are my life. Here is one of them playing.

Last edited:
Ok, first off i'll tell you no lies, i'm a begginer rider, but i know an awfull lot about breeds and the care of horses so i hope it doesn't put you off my advice.

It depends which paint horses you buy. The same with any horse breeds you get bad ones, so don't pick one with beautifull colouration if it's a bad ride. Also, i'd beware when you buy. The bright colouration of these horses sometimes makes it more difficult to spot fualts, even the trained eye will have to scan thourougly. If the owner of the horse draws your attention to the colour patterns then be extra carefull, owners of paints often try to get you to buy because of colour and nothing else. A good thing to do would be to take a vet to get a full exam on the horses, that way you can be sure.

Now, after all thats been said and done i will say that paint horses are generally very friendly and easy to handle. They are also quite good movers and look flashy in any show. So i would reccomend, just be carefull in choosing.

Good luck!

Hi!! Thank for the info. I just need to now more about paint horses.:) Because i'm so used to having a horses that will buck,bit,rear,kick,and ect. That's great paint are good to ride. Thaks again.:D

paints

see.. paints are good horses, but it really depends on what breed they are and not the color, like you can have a pain warmblood, but you can also have a pain quarter horse. pretty much same colour they are both paints, but they are not the same breed therefore they would have diffrent conformation and diffrent personalitys and energy level. see I used to have an regerstered american paint, but in reality she was just a plain old quarter horse with paint color, the color has nothing to do with their personality and ect..

-Hayley

Like others have said - you got your good ones and your bad ones.
Beware of those who try to sell on color only - they may have other flaws that the seller is trying to get you to ignore.

http://www.apha.com/ This is the website for the American Paint Horse Association

Personally, I love most paint horses. Sweet, gentle, and friendly.

Paint = breed
Pinto = color
That's how I know it.

I agree- they both have registries, however. But I think that palomino registries were pushed too- but there are color specific registries.

Paints: always stocky, always 'western'
Pintos: any horse not of the QH build but with the coloring

In reality, paint horses are just stock horses with a different coat. If I were looking for a western horse, I would look for anything of the stock variety, regardless of color.

paints are really great all around horses. Paints are either QH or TB both breeds have wonderful characteristics and can do great in a variety of disaplines. I personally know a couple paints, most are QHs but one TB. all of them are really great lesson horses, basic dressage and all will jump around basic hunter cources, the TB is great over fences (through 3'6) the others stay 3' and under. one of them used to be a great western pleasure horse also. then some people down the road have paints they mostly do western with them, i dont really know them personally though but they have quite the ribbon collection. the ones i know are sweet, laid back types, one is quite stubborn then again he is a schoolie.

there is no such thing as a "bad breed" or a bad horse, some just havn't had the correct handling needed and that is where we get the so called bad horses.

i think someone already posted the paint website. its good referance site

A paint is basically a Quarter Horse with too much color to be registered for AQHA. QH's are AWESOME, so I imagine paints will be too. Beware though that some paints are such inbreed for their color they are quite dull.

Hi!! Are paint horses a good breed to get?:confused: I'm not so sure at all. My mom is going to get me two paint horses and i'm not sure if they are a good breed. [One of the paints are mine.the other is my mom's.] Thanks!!!!:D :cool:

I understand that Paint horses are a type not a breed as such. Presumably the usual tests of a good horse (conformation, temperament, schooling, etc.) apply when buying a paint horse.

(For the Brits who may not know a paint horse is the American name for a pie-bald or skew-balled horse)

American Paints

Google 'competition paints' for the website of someone who has a stud in Northamptonshire, UK. I got my mare who is part-paint from there 6 years ago. I think Paints are up for any sort of competition and as they have unusual markings - they stand out from the norm. Nothing nicer than seeing a coloured flying across a cross country course!

Color has nothing to do with the attatude of the horse. God, I had a beautiful appaloosa that was the biggest pain in the a** and a gorgeous bay mustang that was crazy and now a grey arab that is amazing. It all depends on who they are. Look at their personality, not their color. Good luck!

newrider.com