anyone used a riding simulator?

I was in Norfolk for my cuz's wedding last summer. Was only 10 mins away from the simulator location and had all the Sat a.m. to kill. I phoned and phoned but didnt get any answer - not even an ansa machine. Bummer. Pity there's not one in Scotland!

Go bare back - you'll soon find out!!!!!

so the thing is i used to exersise the polo ponies bareback - 40mins canter work leading 3 ponies either side!!! :eek: and in the dim and distant past i used to ride the horses up and back to the field (along the roads:eek::rolleyes::eek:) bareback in headcollar and leadrope!
last time i rode bareback i was on a bucking QH cantering up a hill :D great fun - i was bet i woulnd't do it :p but that was about 2yrs ago....
tried to get on honey bareback in about september and she had a hissy fit :rolleyes: i suspect becuase of all her back probs etc - plan to try again soon....
i tend to find horses fall into the right with me.... but i can't decide if i'm riding with a strong left leg or sitting a bit to the right :confused:

I havent been on a riding simulator but I have been on a mechanical horse which I think is similar :confused:If it is, it was the biggest waste of time ever lol, we had one at our RS and we used to much about on it in our lunch break doing extended trot and collected canter facing backwards, but they feel nothing like a real horse at all and have a horrid stride :p

I havent been on a riding simulator but I have been on a mechanical horse which I think is similar :confused:If it is, it was the biggest waste of time ever lol, we had one at our RS and we used to much about on it in our lunch break doing extended trot and collected canter facing backwards, but they feel nothing like a real horse at all and have a horrid stride :p

did it look the same as the one on the link? interesting if it does!

Theres a good one at Croft ENd Equestrian in Manchester - its walk and trot was a bit cr*p, but the collected and extended canter were good - especially for practicing forward seat! :D

I luved it:p

I've done an Equisimulator course with Heather Moffett and Della Orchard (who is also a Bowen Therapist). The sims aren't state of the art £40k ones but, at the end of the day, it's the instruction that is key. If the instructor isn't any good then the experience that you have won't be any good either. For stuff like lateral work etc I'd rather have a lesson on a good schoolmaster tbh. I did do piaffe on the rider powered one which was great fun (and good exercise).

I've not tried one of the newest super duper dressage ones but the one at BETA was appalling and little more than a fairground ride, it was kick to go and pull on the reins to stop ... NOT what I want to be learning!

Becky Chapman has one at Ashen Equestrian Centre near Long Melford in Suffolk.
Have used it twice myself and is excellent.

http://www.ashenequestriancentre.co.uk/

Kx

A group of us from the yard went here, it was good fun and very useful. Because it picks up such tiny movements it is really good for determining your riding faults, even ones that you are unaware of. I have also thought I was perfectly balanced ( right/left ) but I lean a fraction to much to the left.

To really make the best use of it I think you woukd have to go a few times, to confirm that you are actually improving:)

Another vote for Becky @ Ashen - she is brilliant at explaining how to correct your position and has studied many professional riders to determine what works and what doesn't.

The 3 hour session is pricey but well worth it.

I'd love to have a go on one, there was a really interesting article in Your Horse mag last year - I think they had a group of people who went on it. Sounded great for giving you feedback on your position etc. Plus, it would probably tell me how balanced / unbalanced my canter seat was! (not sure if I really want to know that one!!!!). Does sound grand tho - wish they were affordable to buy - I'd love to get one for home.

MH !! hehe that did make me chuckle!!

I expect people who are not equestrian minded would wonder what on earth you were doing :D;)

newrider.com