Anyone use rubber matting??

lovejakeyx

Mar 9, 2009
Kent
Questions in the title really..

Moving yards soon and I have a rather larger stable than at my present yard. The YO suggested I got some rubber matting to put down under the chippings so I dont have to use so much, my friend also said this was a good idea as it takes less time to muck out etc.

I always though that they were a lazy alternative and never look warm and cosy like a nice thick bed of chippings.. but now im thinking I might invest as when it comes to the winter I want to spend as little time mucking out as possible and more time riding.

Does anyone use rubber matting and a small amount of bedding? Is it still as cosy for the horse to lay down on?

I'm about to purchase rubber matting but i will be using chippings still to keep it cosey.

Will you be using the same amount as before or a little less? My friend uses a slight covering with banks, then she says to muck out she just scrapes out the middle and replaces with fresh.

I just use rubber matting no other bedding and so does my hole yard. My horse is fine with it, but then again he doesn't like to lie down much.

I have used rubber matting for as long as i can remember. All the horses at both studs I have worked at all are on rubber and they only have a thin layer of dust or shavings to soak up the wet, its never done them any harm. Its brill stuff. Well worth the money.

i had rubber matting in for 3months whilst my horse has just been on box rest.
I absolutely hated it, i mucked out twice daily and it was disgusting! after 3months i really couldn't stand it and took it out for the next month box rest and made the bed bigger to compensate.

I use rubber mats and my horse still has a reasonably deep bed but a smaller bed, just covering the back half of his stable instead of to the door.
I tried just a very thin bed with banks but found his rugs stank and then i stank of wee- not nice.

I love mats I dont like horses standing on concrete floors so would spend a fortune on shavings if i didnt have them- also my horse tends mainly to poo where he stands at the door so its all right on the edge of his bed and very easy and quick to muck out. Would highly recommend mats and wont ever be without them again.

I have rebber matting and fine it great. Ozy digs his bed up so at least when he does this and goes to lie down i now he wont be on concrete.

Do put a good bed down with banks as he wont lie down on just the rubber, he is a dirty boy but have found it works well and is alot better than without.

I want to put rubber matting down in my horses stable for when he comes in at night during the winter. I don't know where to start....where can i get it for the best price?

I have rubber matting in my stable, they are good and they last for ages... but beware they are stupidly heavy and water and pee can often get trapped under there and because they are so heavy it can be hard to clean under them...

They are good though :)

Hope i helped

Zulu_Pony

x x x x x x

i too have rubber matting, with shavings, jennys bed is smaller and don't use as many shavings. It is more comforting for them when they lay down and more insulating too, so they don't lay down on hard concrete, if they move their bed around.

Wow, reading all your replies has definitely changed my view on them! Think I may have to invest then.. will still put shavings down but maybe just at the back half like Harlequin32 said, the new stable is so much bigger than his current one so think that would work out fine!
Now just need to find some cheap enough for my budget!
Thanks xx

newrider.com