anyone have mini horses?

CheriFen

Aug 31, 2011
Maine USA
are they ridden? what size or type of saddle do you you use?

I just got 2 new minis and made a bareback pad from a wood saddle pad and it fits them, but it's not a very secure feeling for my kids, no stirrups. I've seen some 8-10 inch western saddles and a couple of soft lead line types, but I read they need a dressage girth and I can't find one in pony size.

any advice for saddle fitting a mini? they are both about 9 hands. and pretty round.

9 hands = 36 inches which is still just standard in the Shetland world, so just about ridable. Any smaller and they are only fit for tiny tots to sit on.

Whiffy is 36 inches and we use a Thorowgood Pony Club saddle on her. Gives kids a good secure seat and position and is also much kinder on the horse's back than those Cub and Colt saddles.

This is Whiffy, 36 inches and with a Cub saddle, it really was not a good saddle for kid or pony. It's okay for pony rides, but no good to teach position in.
flossiefivvie.jpg

This is one of our stallions, and Freddie the Frog both with Pony club saddles, and much bigger kids, these two are 38 and 40 inches.
IMG_2147.jpg

This chap is 41 inches and again the Pony club saddle.
22Aug08-003072.jpg

We have a 12" english saddle on my 32" mini, thats a squeeze on him. I would personally have either the saddle above, or a bareback/felt pad - we are switching to a pad at some point.

616847_4192578409241_1530694012_o.jpg

This is Tonto, he's a ride and drive. He's got his own special saddle and bridle as well as his driving harness and carriage.

love the mini pics!!

they're all so cute. I hadn't heard of cub saddles before, they look like lead line saddles maybe? I'll look into the pony club saddle for sure. they definitely look lighter than the little western saddles.

the mini's are so much fun. they're getting along great with my goats and today they had lots of nose touching time with the big horses through the fence, so maybe at some point they can spend time with them. they were kept with larger horses at their last farm and did good.

newrider.com