Anyone have a sharer?

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
I have just advertised for one. I have 8 horses here currently and I just cant keep them all fit by myself. Thinking of having my big speckly sidesaddle horse being shared and my coloured gelding as they are both dead sensible and easy to do. Would just mean a couple less for me to keep on top of. Don't need stable duties done unless they want to, but thought it would be ideal for a mum with kids at school who wants to hack about a few days a week? Thought £10 for 3 days or something would be fair? How do you all get on with your sharers, do they have set days, are the limited to what they can do? Never had one before so looking for any experience on the matter.

I think that sounds sensible and reasonable. I had one sharer who we agreed wouldn't pay as she was at uni and I liked her but unfortunately I feel she took advantage a little and did cancel at the last minute on a number of occasions. I think you need to meet them and if you feel they are suitable then I'd give them a months trial.

I just messaged someone who wants a sharer(s) for her 4 so she can get a couple of days off a week. She wants the person to muck out all 4, groom and then they can ride 3 of them if they want. She wants £25/week. To me that seems like the owner is wanting people to help her muck out and care for her horses on those days and for people to pay her for the privilege. Normally I wouldn't mind a small contribution to keep but to put in that much work and pay for it seems a little cheeky.

Reactions: Cortrasna and Gimp
I don't have a sharer but friendswho do say you need to know when they're going to ride as probs arise if you both want to ride at the same time, or your horse is accidentally getting over-worked.

that seems a bit of a piss take Rubic I agree ! She should be paying the person I think not the other way round !

Reactions: Cortrasna
I had a sharer/loaner for a couple of years until we lost Bo. She was riding an older horse at the field I kept my guys at and when he had to be PTS I said she could ride Bo until she found something, one thing and another and eventually she virtually had him on full loan but I could still ride whenever I wanted which wasn't much as I was busy with Jess.

She payed me 40 a month plus farrier and I took care of everything else. I was very lucky and she now has her own horse which she still kepps with me, we get on great and she always had Bo's best interests at heart.

Sadly I don't think all sharers are the same, honestly I don't know if I would have got a sharer in a different situation as a few years ago one girl I'd known for years lost her horse and I said she could ride Bo whenever. What I didn't expect was for her to go to the yard (her horse was kept there so they knew her) and take Bo without letting me know, she was also jumping him and taking him off the yard and thrashing him round the forest which I wouldn't have allowed and as I didn't know I was riding him too :(

I would just be sure you set out clearly the expectations for both parties (in a contract) and try to ensure the person is like minded to how you treat your horses and what you do with them.

Thanks guys. I just can't keep all of them fit by myself for hunting so if anyone knows someone who may be interested on the Oxon/Bucks border let me know! They can have as much weekday riding as they like and since I am pretty much always on the yard I would know when they would come. I probably wouldn't bother riding the 2 horses I want sharers for if I knew they were getting enough exercise elsewhere. It would be handy for me to have someone to hack with as well, as I have a couple I am not over keen on hacking alone!

Reactions: Jessey
Thanks guys. I just can't keep all of them fit by myself for hunting so if anyone knows someone who may be interested on the Oxon/Bucks border let me know! They can have as much weekday riding as they like and since I am pretty much always on the yard I would know when they would come. I probably wouldn't bother riding the 2 horses I want sharers for if I knew they were getting enough exercise elsewhere. It would be handy for me to have someone to hack with as well, as I have a couple I am not over keen on hacking alone!

Move to Glasgow?!:p

Seriously though, I hope you find someone, you always have lovely horses :D

Reactions: Sunshine-x
Do you really mean only £10? I'd think that was excessively cheap for 3 days a week if all you have to do is turn up and ride, especially on one of your classy horses. I used to pay £35 per week (for three days riding), plus half farrier costs when I part-loaned. I had no stable duties either. My days were set - Sunday, Thursday and Friday as the horse was used in the RS on the other days, apart from Monday which was his day off. I'd bite your arm off for that opportunity!

My sharer has no field or stable duties. She sees Mattie whenever she likes and can ride him up to twice a week (he is just a light hack). I don't ride him so clashes don't occur. She pays me £50/month.

Good point re rider insurance, I will make sure they are a countryside alliance member!

Do you really mean only £10? I'd think that was excessively cheap for 3 days a week if all you have to do is turn up and ride, especially on one of your classy horses.

I'm not hugely fussed about the money just don't have the hours in the day to ride 8 horses! How much do you reckon I should charge? In theory they could have 4 or 5 days a week but I may want the horse for hunting one of the days. I would not be offering hunting or competing on the horse, just literally hacking and the odd bit of schooling/jumping so thought I couldn't charge a fortune? A bit of tack cleaning wouldn't go amiss to be fair. I don't mind mucking out coz I have a routine to get my beds all done quickly but I hate cleaning tack!!

I have two sharers for my sisters cob. (he lives with me 24/7, my sister lives in Cardiff at uni)

I have one sharer who pays £50 every month. She can ride as many times a week as she wants and has every saturday. But generally she only rides a maximum of twice a week due to work commitments. But she helps massively in the winter with poo picking on a saturday and filling up a zillion hay nets for the week! She will also go up and feed/hay when i am away.

The other sharer is a friend of a friend and pays me £10 every time she rides (her day is a sunday), but if she doesnt ride she doesnt pay. She doesnt have any responsibilities, i don't ask her to do anything, just to feed Major and my girls sometimes if i am away. She is a teacher and in holidays/half terms she goes away in her motorhome, so it means he can be free during holidays for my sister to come up to ride and take to fun rides.

obviously in a good month i would get £90 per month off my sharers which covers his rent. My mum pays everything else for him whilst my sister is in uni.

Personally i think £50 that i charge my part sharer is peanuts compared to what other sharers pay....but i want to keep her, she's great and she couldn't afford more. What is the going rate for sharers in your area? If your not after the money then i would aim for a token amount like £50 - which is a good deal for both them and you. I would be honest from the start and say its a flexible part loan so therefore in lieu of them having no responsibilities then you may occasionally need to take the horse hunting/competing etc. I have been honest from the start with my sharers and they have no problems when my sister comes up to visit and Major isn't available for them

I love the sharers i have, the roles work out perfectly for everyone involved i think. A friend of theirs also rides moet on a saturday which is great but i don't ask any money as its doing me a favour when i am playing hockey!

Last edited:
But you look after these horses for work right? So technically if you got paying "sharers" you'd actually be taking money from people who are essentially helping you do your job...?

Joosie I am self employed now so all change! This would be for personal horses not other people's I have in to ride.

newrider.com