Anyone got these Ariat boots?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire

Thinking of getting some but not sure what size to get. They advise you to go half a size smaller, but I am a half size anyway, so a lot of my footwear is half a size up because half sizes aren't available.

So annoying that our nearest large country store don't sell them, not only could I try them on but I actually have some voucher money left over from Christmas!

I used to have the Ariat Windermere's but the last pair I had the lining went completely ti*ts up. I've just looked at those you're thinking of, they're quite expensive for a short boot - but Ariat are generally great quality (apart from linings lol). That's annoying with your local place being shut isn't it - specially if you have some money left to spend there! Sorry, no help on that specific style. I am pretty sure there are other people on here that like Ariat though. And on the size front, if the long ones are anything to go by yes, go a size down. I used buy a five in the Windermere's rather than usual six, and they were fine even with medium thickness socks.

Reactions: Bodshi
My Ariat short jod zip up boots (front zip) are US size 9, English six and a half. I have an Aryat Terrain pair the same size.
My winter Mountain horse boots are also 9 or six and a half.

This is my normal shoe size. OH has Aryat boots size 7 and he takes 7 in UK shoes.
One reason I always had Aryat boots was that their USA 9 fits a UK half size.

As for them not lasting I have had all my Ariat boots for years. The zip on the front of OH's failed and they sent a replacement the exact size and I had it put in.

Sorry cant help at all but you have just reminded me i have a £100 voucher to use for a tack shop and feed store. Id forgotten all about it. Its not a store i use unless i get pushed, as i dont like there attitiude in there but money off is money off. Youve just reminded me i need to spend it. I need some food and supplements soon, so better go spend voucher incase the company go bust.

Thank you ladies. I think I'll get my normal size then. I have the Windemeres in a 5.5 but I do need to wear two pairs of socks or they're too big (and the lining isn't great @Trewsers!)

@chunky monkey, why don't you get yourself a little treat as well as some food with your voucher? ?

Reactions: Trewsers
I would add about my boots. They are polished regularly. In about 2004 I re-kitted myself with Ariat and Mountain horse boots. And later a pair of very expensive long boots - but all my black boots get polished by OH. When we were children our fathers cleaned the shoes every Sunday evening. And it is due to OH that my boots have lasted so well. So poish your before the first wearing and then very regularly.
People point out rightly that I dont bring horses in from the field or do yard work in my Ariat boots. I just groom and tack up and lead on the road. But I do ride in awful downpours and polished back leather keeps the water out.

I would add about my boots. They are polished regularly. In about 2004 I re-kitted myself with Ariat and Mountain horse boots. And later a pair of very expensive long boots - but all my black boots get polished by OH. When we were children our fathers cleaned the shoes every Sunday evening. And it is due to OH that my boots have lasted so well. So poish your before the first wearing and then very regularly.
People point out rightly that I dont bring horses in from the field or do yard work in my Ariat boots. I just groom and tack up and lead on the road. But I do ride in awful downpours and polished back leather keeps the water out.

Thanks Skib. It's a lost tradition I think, the weekly polishing of shoes. I remember the ritual from my childhood too.

One of the reviewers for these boots did point out that she cleaned, or at least rinsed down, her boots regularly, as the acid from manure will rot leather and zip fabric.

I tend to use spray tack cleaner or saddle soap on my boots because I worry about black polish rubbing off on Raf's (white) sides. Do you think polish is better?

I tend to use spray tack cleaner or saddle soap on my boots because I worry about black polish rubbing off on Raf's (white) sides. Do you think polish is better?
OH says he uses Woly black shoe cream. On both black shoes and black riding boots. My father used Meltonian shoe cream but I think the army use old fashioned shoe polish in a tin. That is what we used at boarding schols, Cherry Blossom, though our shoes and sandles were dark brown, not black.

I dont think Maisie or Grace both greys were marked by my boots, either short nor long, But they had numnahs. And anyway one should polish the leather off and then it shouldnt splodge surplus polish on anything. When I pull on my long boots and zip them up my hands dont get black on them!

OH applies the polish with a rag, polishes it off with a firm polishing brush, then uses the fine soft brush and gives a final rub with a velvet buffing pad.

I dont use shoe polishes on tack nor the other way round.

I own my own black stirrup leathers which I clean with Balsam made by effax. It is German and cost a lot but I am still on the first tub. The Balsam is golden colour and it brings the black colour off on the duster. But all our dusters eventually go in the wash..I bought it by accident.We were in Harrods in London which in those days had an equestrian department and I needed something to clean my leathers and just picked it up.

I bought a head collar last winter and painted it with six coats of neatsfoot oil as per instructions.

Since I dont have a horse I am not a good person to ask about cleaning tack. I worked on a very traditional livery yard. Tack was cleaned every time it was used by a client and saddle soap was what we used. My current yard also use saddle soap. I would not use that on boots (human boots) because istnt the porpose of the soap partly to clean off mud.

I should have said that when OH polishes our boots and shoes, the mud is removed first a knife and on the leather a hard brush. I use a damp sponge on my long boots if needed.

@Bodshi I use a good saddle soap on my boots, I've got one from EqWax that I really like and is only natural ingredients (I say that to justify the price to myself lol). If a toe gets scuffed I will put a bit of black polish on to hide it but generally I prefer to stay away from normal shoe polish.

I remember being told that at least part of the reason boots don't last as well nowadays no matter how well they're looked after is that after the discovery of BSE cattle were slaughtered younger and so there weren't the mature, tougher skins to turn into leather.

I heard that many carriage drivers use black boot polish to make there harnesses sparkle in the show ring. Not tried it myself.

I bought my posh long boots in 2006. And I expect them to last me for life. I wear them every time I ride unless it is snowy. Or riding Western.
I think you are too pessimistic Carthorse.
They were re-heeled twice with special care by our lovely cobbler, now retired
There is one scratch on the leather - thorns out hacking probably, But otherwise they are good as new.

@Skib I only know what I was told by a working saddler who said they could no longer get such strong leather due to the age cattle were now slaughtered, and that this applied to anything needing strong leather. Realistically you aren't using your boots as heavily as other people may, for example I ride most days, and if I have a hot horse on a hot day I'm not going to leave him stood around while I go and change my boots. I also try to make sure I walk round a bit in mine so if I ever do need to lead home they don't rub me raw. Since the boots originally asked about look to be multi purpose I think this is relevant.

Well I went for the Tellurides (zip) in the end because it seemed silly not to use my voucher and they are very comfy boots. I had to go down to a size 5 though, glad I went to a shop and didn't just order them online because I'd have been disappointed. I had my normal two pairs of socks for riding on too! I'm sure shoe sizes are getting bigger, like clothes sizes.

Well I went for the Tellurides (zip) in the end because it seemed silly not to use my voucher and they are very comfy boots. I had to go down to a size 5 though, glad I went to a shop and didn't just order them online because I'd have been disappointed. I had my normal two pairs of socks for riding on too! I'm sure shoe sizes are getting bigger, like clothes sizes.

Yep clothes sizes are getting bigger for sure. I collect vintage blouses and shirts. Some of them are tiny compared to the sizes of today. I have some very vintage Laura Ashley ones and they really are small. Hehehe, prefer for comfort the reproduction ones issued by Laura Ashley as a company for today's market. Though it's nice to have the actual vintage stuff sometimes. I love to imagine where it's been and what it's seen. I have some really old ones lovely patterns on.

Yep clothes sizes are getting bigger for sure. I collect vintage blouses and shirts.

I didn't know that about you Trewsers :cool: I had an aunt who was really into Laura Ashley, wonder what happened to her old clothes? If she took them to the charity shop they might have been recycled a few times and ended up as vintage. I do hope so!

Reactions: Trewsers
What i dont get about clothes is when they say celebrities are a size 8. Really. Then you see there weight and think well they weigh more than me so how can they be size 8. I can only just fit size 12 or 14. I seriously wonder what part of the celebrity they measure or if these exclusive designers they use have a different measurement scale to that of the general world.

What i dont get about clothes is when they say celebrities are a size 8. Really. Then you see there weight and think well they weigh more than me so how can they be size 8. I can only just fit size 12 or 14. I seriously wonder what part of the celebrity they measure or if these exclusive designers they use have a different measurement scale to that of the general world.

I think sizing varies so much, designers allegedly only make up their garments for the cat walk in a size 4 or 6. I know models are thin, but crikey, 4 or 6 must verge on a skeleton! Always tickles me when I read about sizes of the models. I'm a 12 in jeans. So if they're a 6 you could pop two of them inside one pair of my jeans...................... :D :D

• Haha

I love my Tellurides :) They are so comfy!

I'm currently debating between a pair of Ariat Coniston's or Grasmeres. I'm going to treat myself at the end of lockdown :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Bodshi
newrider.com