Anyone Elses Horses Full of the Joys of Spring?!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Rode tonight.

Have been working on getting Tobes more 'forward' to reduce his napping, bucking ways.

Bit of a double edged sword sometimes as we had a canter up a shortish track. Having been nearly asleep on leaving the yard and finding the whole thing a massive bore, he was incredibly strong on the uphill canter and then we have to descend which we did at walk. Had to go in front of fellow livery as being in front generally calms him, but in the end narrowly avoided crashing into a tree because a VERY SCAREY pheasant attacked him from the hedge, and had to plant his head into cow parsley twice as he was all over the place.

Now whilst I am pleased he isn't bucking, I would really prefer a more sedate ride!

Roll on the hot summer days where everything is a massive effort!!!

Oh I am having the opposite problem at the moment, because I am riding a lot, which always makes the Zigster calmer.

Yesterday we did a short hack - about 5 miles in about 45 minutes - trotting and cantering wherever we could. He got into the swing of it and was offering canter pretty much from walk by the end, and no mucking about at all.

Today was a long slow ride, 2 hours 10 minutes nearly all at walk with hills. He was practically asleep the whole way round! When I asked him to trot near the end he woke up with a start and trotted really fast. I've never had such a chilled pony.

Much the same as ever apart from being less stiff due to moving about the field more - which is nice for both of us as I feel she's enjoying her rides.

Much the same being ridden, but is a complete idiot in the field.

Charging up and down the fence line issuing blood thirsty threats to anyone whose interested, pulling faces, kicking, farting and bucking at nothing, snorting and squealing.

Its very amusing to the humans, as Cracker displays all of his short horse syndrome ways, but the other horses just stand and look at him in a perplexed sort of way. :biggrin:

Not any more. He was a little more sprightly in April when the grass first started coming through, but he has calmed down now and back to his normal self.

Inca and Cay have both definitely been a little more lively, although I'm not riding at the moment so I don't know if exercise would take the edge off them? but there have certainly been a few high jinks on the way to and from the field, I'm sure it'll subside again soon. Puz has been her usual self, but I've kept her turnout quite restricted this year as I can't exercise her to keep the weight down!

Poor Storm came out of her box asleep (honest she was still making snoozy sounds!) and this reflected in our ride. Even though it's windy today. Just goes to show what a bit of grass does for her...zzzzz

newrider.com