Anybody know how I go about....

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Donating rugs to an equine charity?i have a fair few rugs that I don't use and instead of selling would like to donate to a charity but I have no idea how to go bout doing this?I'm in the Northumberland area next to the sea not sure of nearest from here anyone got any ideas?
sorry not sure if this is in the right place,apologies if not and feel free to shift it :)

Search around for local charities. Some of the smaller ones don't advertise well so it might be worth asking at feed merchants etc if they know any.

I found one this way. I donate all my old stuff to them, including feed etc I have left over from the winter.

If you can't find one near enough, may be you could sell the rugs on e bay or local advert then donate the money instead.

Thanks Tina,will take a trip to the feed stores and ask them and will ask a couple of the farriers and vets here aswel they might know somewhere,if not I could sell on eBay and donate the money.

Could you google and see what comes up near you? Then if you find one they would probably be more than happy to come and collect them off you - if you aren't too far away. I keep meaning to give a load of mine - we have Chloe from Happa (who are very close to us) and I meant to give some to the lady who does the twice yearly check ups but forgot when she came. I will have to have a day out and take them with me - I have saddle cloths too that I am sure they would like.

Just contact one of the larger horse charity and they will let you know where they might be needed?

I wouldn't go with just donating to some small unregistered Charity if I were you. I was about to send a load of Solly's things of to a small charity in the UK, luckily someone tipped me off that even if they fit anything they have in they don't use ANY thing you donate - everything is sold on ebay and there 'rescues' are very poor and neglected. So just beware.

In the end I contacted the Irish Horse Welfare Trust and someone came and collected the boxes full from me, I later got picture's of a lot of Solly's stuff being used on rescue horses, very nice feeling to know his stuff was helping less fortunate horses.

newrider.com