any horses/riders prefer hacking alone?

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
I have come to the conclusion that Archie and I actually prefer hacking alone! Archie spooks etc whilst in company - he's just showing off!

I'm more than happy to go out just the two of us, can be a bit hairy at times as he doesn't like tractors etc but we've never had a real problem as such. I moved our other pony up to the same yard a month or so ago and here's the problem - Robbie doesnt like to hack out alone so tags along with Archie and I whilst a friend rides him.

Archie and Rob have never really got on, had to keep them in sep fields when they both lived at home - Rob could cause a riot in an empty room!:eek: We've only just started to bring Rob back into work and he's doing really well, my friend rides him for me as shes as light as a feather and I am far too heavy for him. So, do I just put up with Rob tagging along and hope that they settle or do I suggest that friend finds someone else to ride with - bearing in mind I have never let anyone take Rob out without me being there! I do trust friend thou - just have a problem letting go:eek:

I like a mixture of both. Sometimes its nice just to have you and the horse, you feel really connected when you are out there together - apart from when things go a bit pear shape and you loose physical connection ofcourse :rolleyes: That brings me to a big plus for riding in company, you have the security that someone is there to firstly catch your horse in the event of a fall and then get help if its needed. I also like chatting to friends when we are out hacking, this helps me relax and catch up on the gos. :D

I dont like hacking in company, my boy spooks at other peoples on horses to!
I prefer being on my own its so peacefull :) and if i wana chat i just chat to the pony :)
Plus if im schooling i can concentrate better without some one yacking away :p

I love the company on the yard though :)

I'm a fan of riding on my own, I have a very stressful job so it's a chance for me to empty my mind and have some time with Puz - we enjoy the quiet :)

like Vicki100 - I like company on the yard

It's funny, I always likes having the boys at home and really didn't want to move to a yard but, since moving on to a yard am finding the company good, it's only a small yard and everyone helps each other out.

Think I shall stick to hacking alone but go out with friend riding Rob once a week - with any luck my nerves should be able to cope with that!

I actually like riding on my own. Its nice to have company occasionally. Always find if going out with another they took ages to tack up and we actually spent more time in the yard than actual out riding which made no sense. I also find that I can go at a faster pace when riding alone, which is what mine needs at the moment. He was far to relaxed and prefering the i'll plod at there speed hack.

I must admit that I much prefer riding on my own. When I'm with my pony it is about me and her. If I have others with me then I naturally chat with them and then it is about being with them rather than Joy.

Being with others means that I'm more distracted so Joy is more likely to be more animated as I'm not in tune with her and don't notice the early signs of her mood changes.

Having the ponies has always been about them and me. That's why I love my yard, there's only 3 owner and only 2 of us ever go down during the day and even then it's at varying times so I don't ever really have anyone intruding :cool:

I suppose i shouldn't really ride on my own as i still consider myself a novice rider, but i do and i love it. I guess its because he is a share horse, so i feel like he's mine when i am on my own, whereas when i ride out with his owner i feel like it is her horse and i am just sitting on his back !!!!!

I don't really have a choice but to hack alone, I keep mine at home and have no-one else to hack out with (boo hoo). Although I completely love it and Mol is quite happy both on her own and in company she actually prefers to hack out in the company of a very noisy off road motorbike.

I've always thought my horse was weird. :eek:

I also keep my ponies at home and hack by myself. I do have a neighbour who hacks, and if I phone her then she can usually come out with me. However, Frayne the Exmoor has a very slow walk and I have yet to find a pony/horse that she can keep up with comfortably. Even Ben the 11.2hh Sec A is a lot quicker than her, and then Frayne just keeps trotting to catch up or the other person has to wait a lot. I find that hacking out in company with her means that we do not have a relaxing ride (which I need because of my health) and the other person must get annoyed. Frayne is also not very confident of large vehicles in our narrow lanes, so I get off when they approach - and my neighbour tends to just ride past it and then realise that I am miles behind :rolleyes:

It is simpler to just go out by ourselves, although Frayne is more nappy without another 'bum' to follow :D

If anyone with a really slow pony, who likes to go for short rides (can't cope with more than about 40 minutes at the moment), and who lives in Pembrokeshire would like to join us (free livery available) - then PM me :)

Ali xx

Storm will hack out with anybody - but herself! She just doesn't do being alone. However, Joe on the otherhand is more than happy to take OH or myself off alone. He really struggles with any other horses, it was a nightmare when we were on a yard as the kind folks who knew us were always offering to keep us company and I had many times to rebuff their offers - as I knew Joe would not behave very well in company! One disasterous hack he carted off with OH to get away from the other riders - not nice for OH. Poor Joe, he's such a sensitive soul..........
I guess I would hack either alone or in company, I don't much mind either way, just not on Storm!!! (A different horse would be a different story me thinks)

newrider.com