Any eBay experts?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a problem. I bid on a rug on eBay, £20 was my max limit and I was quite happy with that. I ended up getting outbid, but then shortly afterwards got an email from eBay saying that bid had been retracted and I was the highest bidder again...great!

However, I looked in the bidding history and there were only 3 bids there. One for £11, then another for £20 (presumably the retracted bid), then mine for £20. So as I see it, I should only be paying the £12, not the full £20.

I've sent an email to the seller who said that the person had retracted their bid as they made a mistake and 'it was eBay's rules'. I've tried to get in touch with eBay with no response :confused:

Can anyone help?

have you looked in the bid history? If it was bidded up by more than one person then it would of gone upto your max bid, so you basically would of been next in line at what you were was bidded. have a look at the bid history on the item? it does get technical when theres more than 1 winner at max bid

thinking about it though you cant retract bids in the last few hours ( think its 12) so the max bidder may justnot of paid, or could be shrill bidding by the seller!

The bid history says starting price £10.99, a bid by l***l at £11, a bid by b***0 for £20 and my bid for £20. The seller said the person who retracted the bid was called bailewhelan0 (who coincidentally has 0 feedback), so it all fits.

I'm also wondering if I've been done by the seller, she mucked up with the first bid outbidding me then put another bid in at £20 so I would have to pay the £20. She was very quick to say 'if you dont want the rug then i've got plenty of others who do, it's a quality rug for a bargain price'

I can't comment on whether she has bid up the item herself and I don't know what you would have to do to prove it. But it seems to me that you were prepared to pay £20 for it, in that you bid £20 before the auction closed. If you don't want it at £20 don't buy it!

Are they offering a second chance offer? You can decline that.

I get that your bid came after for £20 as you didn't know what buyer two had done as a max bid.
Without their bid though you would have won it at £12 even though your max was £20, so I don't know why it's not dropped back to that?

To retract you would have been told by eBay 12 hours before that it had been retracted.

This has happened to me in the past, I never out a max on that I am not happy to pay.

Oh I'm happy to pay the £20 or I wouldn't have put that as my bid, but I just don't think I should be. I should only be paying £12

Yes I think that to. Because without bidder two who pulled out, it would have gone to £12.

Eta, I also feel if the seller wanted £20 he/she should have started at that.
If I know my minimum that I want I start there.

I finally spoke to someone in eBay this morning and it's apparent that the item has been purposely bumped up to my max bid. Apparently the member (with no feedback) bid £21 at 3:11 (outbidding me), this was cancelled by the seller at 3:16 (as you can't retract a bid in the last 12 hours, but you can ask a seller to cancel it), they then bid again for £20 at 3:20 and the auction ended at 3:26 with me the winner at my max bid

eBay couldn't do anything about it but advised me to ask the seller to cancel my purchase. She cancelled it no bother so I'm sure she knows she had been found out.

The ridiculous thing....if she'd put it up at £20 I probably still would have bought it.

Reactions: Gimp
I don't know why people bump things because a savvy person sees through it.
I have seen items resisted within hours of selling and I believe you need to wait three days for your buyer.
I can't see all of them being an agreed mistake, cancelled sale.

Reactions: Trewsers
It's annoying when people bump up. You have to take the rough with the smooth when selling. Sometimes I've sold worn once gilets for £1! Other times I've got a good price back for them.
It annoys me when people do it, someone did it recently with a pair of worn once jeans......lol they ended up being dearer than brand new !

Yes it's a shame when sellers are so sneaky but I still go with if you were prepared to pay £20 for it anyway why not just have it? I appreciate it's wrong what the seller did but it doesn't change the fact that you were prepared to pay that for it, although I guess it is the principle of it that is annoying.
I'm one of those sad ebayers who set a limit and will not go over that limit no matter what it gets bid up too or how much I want it and if I want it I'll pay the max budget figure for it.
I have seen ebay stuff sell for way more than you could go out and buy it new for but I think that's when people just get into that 'must have it, will not be outbid' mentality which I'm sure is what any auction relies on.

I'm not willing to give a dishonest person my money. Simple as that.

Like I say, I was quite happy to pay the £20 or I wouldn't have bid that. I am another who carefully considers my max bid and sticks to it. Actually had the whole retracted bid situation not happened I would never have known about the shrill bidding and I would have paid up happy that I'd won.

Think I will be avoiding ebay these days and stick to facebook selling groups. Much less hassle.

I don't see how fb is actually any better to be honest. You are still dealing with strangers who can just join an open group with a fake account!

A bad seller doesn't make them all bad, the same as a bad saddle fitter doesn't mean all fitters are rubbish.
But we seem to make sweeping statements like this.

In seven years it's maybe 0.1% of sales that goes arse up.

I think you can choose what price to offer a "second chance" offer to someone - I have had to do it after someone "didn't realise how far you are" after winning it - though I was reasonable and offered the second person their bid prior to the winners bid....

I have also had to retract a bid after I typed in £727 instead of £7.27!!!!! It went up to about £90 for something worth £25 in shop - couldn't believe it when I saw invoice but didn't realise what had happened! I apologised profusely, and although the seller was annoyed because they thought they were quids up, I think they realised in the end it was a genuine error on my fat fingers part!

yes, for my ebay thread we have 5100 feedbacks on our account, this is the first chargeback on personal one. My brothers firm who have hundreds of thousands feedback chargebacks are a daily burden! but the more volume you sell the more chance of pulling a scammer. Wasnt there someone on this forum ( ex member) that was doing dodgy saddle deals ! then another member screwed me personally out of alot of tack! There everywhere assholes!

newrider.com