Anti-Slip saddle pads

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
Sorry if this question has been asked before :eek:, but there are so many on the market, and all claim to be a miracle cure for slipping saddles, I was curious as to other people's experiences and what worked.

I know of course a slipping saddle can be down to it not fitting correctly etc. That aside, let's assume that you are buying a new saddle, that has been fitted by a saddler and they have recommend a limpet pad just to help with any stability issues. For instance with a cob, there always tends to be movement to the side on mounting, it's just the way they are built!

I've recently come across this:

http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/products/details/29/

Bit like that non-slip shelf stuff you can get from DIY stores! Cost appears to be £8.50 for one pad. Apparently Jeanette Breakwell uses them.

Or the Barnsby Grip pad, are these a bit thick and could they compromise saddle fit? (Also quite pricey).

One internet site no longer used Limpet due to stocking issues, but recommend the following, about £18:

http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/english/prd/ep702.html

OR there is the Prolite one:

http://www.prolitepads.com/products/reliefpads/saddlestay.htm

However, you would probably need two of these one under the saddle and another under the cloth.

The list is endless, with Geleeze etc.

What are your experiences and did they help?

Hiya

I have a very wide cob and had a saddle fitter out to make sure my saddle was a correct fit. Even though the saddle fitted I still had that slight side slip on mounting. I bought a Barnsby grip pad and must admit it is fab. They are not thick and really help to keep the saddle in place. I had tried various different pads but nothing really worked as well as the Barnsby one. They are pricey but if it works then its worth the money:D

Also they are very easy to keep clean, I just give the underneath a quick wipe over with a baby wipe and its good as new

I like my stephens gel eze pad. I just dunk it in the water trough after every ride and hang it up to dry.

I personally feel that a withers only pad isn't enough for my problem which was the saddle slipping forward. I bought a withers one by accident and immediately bought the under saddle size instead.

It makes sense to me to distribute the non slip qualities over as much of the saddle as possible to prevent localised pressure.

You wouldn't believe the number of saddle pads I have. But the best for no slip... is the
"Tacky Tack" pad.
The makers are annoying to work with(never respond to email) but boy they have a great product!
http://www.tacky-tack.com/

I've used the prolite one and the 'internet' one. I've had no problems with the prolite one but my saddle moved all over the place with the internet one, also it moved and pulled down over his spine and came out the back of my saddle cloth while doing xc.

I found limpet works and so does the geleze. Sorry not sure if spelt like that. I found depended on if its the saddle that moves or the pad. You'd expect some movement as horse moves but nothing worse than pad disappearing up your gullet.

limpet and rydair work (rydair is liek the limpet but different underneath and leaves no tar on your horses coat) also tacky tack pads and tacky too pads work really well, but they are western pads (although I use mine with an english saddle.)

Ditto the Barnsby Grip Pads, they're not thick and won't change the fit of your saddle, the neoprene bits are shock absorbing and distribute pressure nicely, they also stop the saddle moving about on top of the saddle cloth and the grippy underneath stops any slippage at all, they're fab, I really can't fault them and now wouldn't use anything else under my saddle :D

another vote for the barnsby grip pad -- in fact i'm thinkin of buyin another one myself i'm so impressed with mine

100_0415.jpg

on here ted is wearing barnsby grip pad and abarnsby comfort girth (made in a dressage size for me) along with kolibri breast plate

bothe the pad and the girth are fabulous for slippage stopping

ali cat, is that the dressage version of the Barnsby you've got there? Mine is much more forward cut, in fact too forward cut for my Wintec Wide saddle which has more of a VSD flap, I was wondering if I could get away with a dressage version :)

here I go reviving another ancient thread...
Minnie's saddle just got adjusted and is now in it's final stage.
She's so roley poley flat and round that it still has some lateral movement unless I girth her up until her eyeballs pop out.
So I just ordered this pad:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/succe...age-noslip-saddle-pad-9834p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
It has the no-slip on top as well as underneath.
I can't tell but it does look a little bit like cupboard liner, doesn't it?
Is it comfortable for the horse?
We'll see how it does...

I have a wide cob and recommend the Barnsby anti slip pad - they do what they are supposed to and wash and wear great - worth the money. Also the Impact and limpet pads work. I also use the Aerborn waffle weave girth which help keep saddle stable - no elastic! :smile:

newrider.com