Another question, how big?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Up ragworting ales new field, it's about and acre in size and most of it has a fair amount of grass in which I would like to section off.

The front section is balder and more weedy and I thought this is a good place to start him off in and then I can move the fences very gradually once he has mown this area down.

The area is roughly 20 x 20 meters is that a decent enough size to start him off in, would you go bigger or smaller? Sorry for all the questions lately!

It really depends on how much he gets to eat. Will you be poo-picking? Count his poos....it's the only way to know he is getting enough to eat.

Ale if you have your own field, you could put up a track so you can keep him on the track while the grass is good and it also helps to keep him moving , then open up the middle section in the winter time? That's what I do :)

Reactions: Jessey
It really depends on how much he gets to eat. Will you be poo-picking? Count his poos....it's the only way to know he is getting enough to eat.

How many per day is the healthy amount? He would be getting hay alongside the grass so plenty to eat

Ale if you have your own field, you could put up a track so you can keep him on the track while the grass is good and it also helps to keep him moving , then open up the middle section in the winter time? That's what I do :)

A small track is the long term idea. How wide do they have to be bearing in mind it will only be him for now or possibly one friend

How many per day is the healthy amount? He would be getting hay alongside the grass so plenty to eat
Ah well.... that's personal preference and also depends on how many is normal for him. It takes a bit of time to work out. For example, Connor and Cullen have only two months difference in their ages but Cullen is a little and often pooer and Connor does bigger ones less often. So you can't really generalise. Soz :p

Ah well.... that's personal preference and also depends on how many is normal for him. It takes a bit of time to work out. For example, Connor and Cullen have only two months difference in their ages but Cullen is a little and often pooer and Connor does bigger ones less often. So you can't really generalise. Soz :p

I will be keeping a close eye on the field from day one and maybe even keep a note for a while of how many he does. Plan on getting a worm count done asap too.

I would probably do the track st 1.5-2 m wide - need enough space to stand alongside each other really but not much more

Thank you, a track is something I would think about doing next spring so there will be alot more questions then if I do decide to do a track

Reactions: lauren123
I would track round the outside with sections fenced off so it's eaten down one side at a time, you could even half the side if the grass is good.

Means you can put the Haynets at different corners and make him walk round :)

My track has worked wonders for keeping mine moving and slimmer. My track varies in width, from 3M to about 10M in places, the narrow sections encourage more movement and the bigger areas are for snoozing and rolling. My track is permanently set up now but in spring I have to strip graze them round it until they have the whole thing or they just balloon, they go in the middle for the winter and I strip graze that too to control how quickly they eat it down :)

newrider.com