Another (old )newbie

Johnny67.

Jan 20, 2015
Hello to you all. I have recently started learning to ride - having fulfilled a lifelong wish to do so.
Started about 5 months ago at the age of 47 and I'm loving it. I'm pleased to say that my initial worries about starting at such a late age and being the 'odd old bloke' were completely unfounded. My RI and all the folk at my school have been fantastic and completely non-judgmental.
If anyone else out there is thinking about starting Rodin but think that their age may be against them, don't worry, just go for it!
It's not just the riding I enjoy either, it's the tacking up and putting the horses out to graze that I find makes my weekly ride so enjoyable - it's a kind of catharsis.
Anyway, enough rambling for now. Just wanted to say hi.

Johnny

Hiya and welcome. Glad you've found such enjoyment after so many wasted years! :p

As someone said, "I've spent half my life around horses. The rest I've just wasted". Glad you could join us!

I love all the dithering around them too, not just the riding. I think we mostly do. So relaxing.

I do love riding and horses, but totally disagree that my life before was wasted. Unless one earns one's living with horses, riding is an expensive pleasure and for us was a luxury postponed till our children were earning and we could afford it. It is a great way to spend one's retirement.
And funny thing, but the friends and relatives of ours who rode or owned horses during their working years have now given up, usually on health grounds.

Hello and welcome to NR Johnny, glad you are loving your riding and look forward to hearing all about your future adventures. :)

Hi Johnny,
Like most young girls I wanted to ride but did not have the opportunity. These days I have friends with horses and was always helping handle/mind when ever I had the chance to. So I decided to take the plunge before it was too late physically (could say it was on my bucket list). Had some lessons, bought a horse and here we are. My boy has brought a new happiness to my life.

Hi Johnny, I'm 68 so you're a youngster as far as I'm concerned! I didn't start until I was 60 (8 years ago), fulfilling a lifelong ambition to ride! I agree about the spending time with horses - since I've retired I do a lot of volunteering at the yard and find it really therapeutic.

newrider.com