Another hacking question.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Following on from my last thread and something domane said made me think about this, but how many of you have horses/ponies who walk out really slowly on a hack and whizz home?
I have to say Belle is the only horse I've ever ridden who is the total opposite of this and will be a fizzy whizzy (well as much as she can be) looky girl on the way out but the second we turn for home she turns into a totally relaxed plod.
Even on our one circular route she's like it until we get about half way around then the plod turns up!

That's Joy too. She loves her hacking and is eager to get out, not so eager to get back and that combined with not being as fit as she thinks she is makes for a more sedate last 1/3 of the ride.

When Joe was alive and we went on longer hacks, Storm used to be quite keen on the way home - tbh she speeded up quite a bit! It never bothered me, she still couldn't overtake Joe!lol Now we don't go so far, there isn't much difference. I am hoping that OH will lead Chloe in-hand this summer and we can all go together.

Flipo used to be slow out, fast back, but he's getting better all the way round, much more forward going where ever we are - as long as its a familiar route otherwise he's a little cagey. It's all about confidence with us.

I've found that nappy horses tend to be lazy out and fast back! Rosie was a terror for that, now she's more confident she will only speed up a fraction for the return journey. Moët is pretty steady all the way round but perhaps a fraction faster on the way out than on the way back.

Slow out, slower back. Trust us to be different. But she isn't built for speed and she just likes to chill. I only notice an increase of speed when worried, you may get a jog as she access if she will die or not.

Mine is slow on the way home, but I think that has something to do with the fact that its usually down hill all the way on the last stretch. Im not convinced he likes going down the hill. Had his back checked but I find he doesnt move well going down hill. I noticed even on a lunge on the hill that he cant move smoothly trotting down hill.

When I got Ziggy he was fast out and faster on the way back, which was indeed a form of napping - he just wanted it to be over. I knew I had really made progress with him when we could bimble home on the buckle.

These days he is more inclined to go at the speed I ask, but if he steps on a stone or becomes uncomfortable in another way he'll hurry again. It's stress related for him.

Dolly strides out nicely on the way out (usually!) but just saunters home if I let her, which more often than not I do.:redface:

newrider.com