Another castration question...

Ratface

Nov 20, 2007
West Yorkshire
I have a sec A colt that I got and his testicles arent there. He is only 1 yr old so I dont think he has been done already. I know that they can be done from an early age but he still acts coltish and when I let him out (supervised ;) ) with my 2 girls he immediately tried mounting them and was trying his hardest to get to them whilst they were led away. He is other that that extremely placid so mush so that I would let my children handle him.

He lets me have a feel all around that area so I am not missing the fact they are there from only doing a quick check.

My questions are....

> Is there any way other than a blood test to see if he has already been done?

> Do I have to wait for them to drop before I can have him done?

Thank you in advance :)

I would get a blood test done to make sure, it could be he is sucking them up when you try and find them though but it is better to find out! Don't let him out with your mares/fillies until you are sure. If they havn't dropped at all then he will still need them removing as they can become cancerous if left in the abdomin as he gets older not to mention he will still technically be a stallion and have to managed as such! The op isn't the cheapest I'm afraid especially if they have to go in and hunt for them - some though can still be in the inguinal canal and just havn't popped out yet - ask your vet anyway and deffinitly get a blood test done.

how effective are they at hiding them? I've convinced myself i'm going mad, I was sure Jaspers had dropped but i havn't seen them for at least a week now :confused:

Hello there,

Yeah we are keeping him seperate dont worry :p

Well my other question then is is there normally a scrotum which the testes pop into then out of as he doesnt have anything. He has like little knobbles on his sheath either side but I think that is just his sheath itself!

I have tried comparing it to my other lad but he is a 17hh ID so a lot different to a 9hh sec A :rolleyes:!!

My poor boy I hate talking about him like this! He would be very embarrassed if he knew :eek:

newrider.com