Angel disgraces herself ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
The OH decided to come out on a hack today. He usually takes Angel, and I ride Appley. I make him lead up the road inhand and jump on once we hit the bridleway - he is rather, uh, novicey and I don't want to risk him riding up a steep blind bend in rush hour traffic ... anyhoo!

i'm sat on appley, he leads angel ... we go down the driveway to cross the road (big busy 40mph road with a slight blind bend outside the yard). we line up, preparing to cross, at a suitable distance to stop ponies from pulling faces at each other ... next thing I know Angel had backed herself up, they're bum to bum and Angel is kicking Appley, who, of course, proceeds to retaliate. This is literally kerbside with rush hour traffic coming past :redface:

I shout at OH to drag angel off as I had nowhere to get Appley to and did NOT want to kick on and have her jump into the road to get away .... he managed to get Angel away after what seemed like ages ... luckily, everyone is fine and cars stopped in the end but ... this could have gone very wrong!! and i cannot believe angel actually scuttled backwards to get a swipe in! i know they dont always get on and always make sure that a safe distance is kept during rides to avoid this sort of thing but ... ARGh! bad pony!!!

:O! I'm shocked!!! Bad Angel has definitely not lived up to her name!

Would Appley be ok in front? If you lead her? We always put kicky ponies at the back lol. Having said that, I haven't been on a hack with a kicky pony in a long time. Trigger and Lady could be stood on top of each other and not bat an eyelid. He also bites her bum sometimes when we're out and she still doesnt care haha.

xxx

Appley is an experienced ride leader :happy:

... the odd thing is that Angel is NOT a kicker! it's just appley she doesnt like. other horses, she doesnt like them too close, but the worst she does is pull a face at them. with appley, ive seen angel clobber her on the yard or in the paddock, so i know she means business with her, which is why i always ask anyone riding angel (when i come along on appley) to keep a distance.

the problem today was that we stood next to each other to cross the road i think ... i thought it was far enough apart but angel still managed to manoevre herself round :skull:

luckily, the rest of the ride went very well, i think angel knew she'd done wrong!

oooops!! naughty angel!!! glad that it didn't result in too much damage, unfortunately horses will be horses sometimes

newrider.com