And we’re there...

What size fly mask is he @Jessey ? I have just upgraded Sid from cob to full so have a cob size nice Shires one with nose fringe going begging if you want it :)
Jessey, you are obviously first in line but if you don't want it, could you let me know what you'd like for it Jane? Pete's a cob size and is currently ruining fly masks and grazing muzzles for fun 😂 His current Shires fly mask is missing half an ear and only has one strap to keep it in place 🙈

Hope N is less itchy soon though Jessey. I found been shampoo quite helpful when Pete was very itchy, if you haven't tried that already?

Reactions: Jessey
Thanks @Jane&Ziggy but I’ve just had to put him into full size too.

I bathed him with some wheat germ anti itch shampoo at the weekend and it really helps, but yesterday must have been extra buggy as it’s the first time he’s been like that since last year. Normally he wears a mask 24/7 as if he gets those little black biter’s in his ear he gets really upset, but he ripped his mask beyond repair last week. I’ve put one on today that fits horribly but hopefully it’s more comfortable than the biting and new one (actually 2) is meant to arrive tomorrow.

Jessey, you are obviously first in line but if you don't want it, could you let me know what you'd like for it Jane? Pete's a cob size and is currently ruining fly masks and grazing muzzles for fun 😂 His current Shires fly mask is missing half an ear and only has one strap to keep it in place 🙈

Hope N is less itchy soon though Jessey. I found been shampoo quite helpful when Pete was very itchy, if you haven't tried that already?
Hello, @Jessey doesn't need it so happy to send it to you for a tenner. PM me your address and I'll post it in the next few days :)

Niko has just gone into the last of the rested paddocks, I’m praying for rain (we’ve only had 1 decent rainfall in the last couple of months) so the others he’s already grazed can recover before this one is spent
872ADFE9-8F46-4FA8-9727-9692F7A09CAB.jpeg
He made me chuckle this morning, I could hear whinnying and mild thrashing so panicked a bit, went round the corner only to find him merrily dreaming 😴
C50BF66A-BC74-4039-96E3-518AFC3F3608.jpeg

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh how sweet! Ziggy used to twitch and snort while he was asleep, but I've never heard a sleep whinny. Was it little, the way dog dream barks are very very small barks?

Oh how sweet! Ziggy used to twitch and snort while he was asleep, but I've never heard a sleep whinny. Was it little, the way dog dream barks are very very small barks?
It wasn’t a proper whinny, it was louder then quiet, then louder again, a bit deranged sounding 🤪 probably much like how dogs yip in their sleep. And he little legs were going too 🥰

Oh poor monkey, I’ve just switched him from days on grass to nights and obviously that means he’s starved 🙄 so after dinner he goes for a drink and decides to reach over the big (1000l just filled) metal trough, leaning on it as he goes to snack on the hedge behind and touches his nose on the 11,000v electric fence 😬 it gave him a hell of a belt, all 4 legs went, the trough nearly went, and he charged in jess’ direction before gathering his thoughts and belted the other way, then stood there pawing all mad about it 🤣 He normally won’t go anywhere near a fence, but that section has caught him a couple of times now, silly sod 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy
I’ve not been doing anything with Niko, with my new job I’d decided to give him a month off and then he had a growth spurt which meant my saddle not fitting.

I was booked to take him to the fitter a couple of weeks ago as she doesn’t come this far, but trailer issues meant I couldn’t go. As a huge favour she’s coming out on the 4th. So he’s gone and gouged his back 🤦‍♀️ A good 4” scrape and deeper at one end, I hibbied and put some hydrogel on it yesterday. I’m a bit concerned it seemed quite warm tonight, going to be keeping a very close eye on it. Hopefully it will heal in time or I don’t know when we’ll be able to get a fitting.

Monkeys first day back to work after a month off, he wasn’t massively impressed 😂
91A5C662-6986-4AE5-B41B-A87C7185FCF4.jpeg8226E358-16A5-4C74-A902-FCA441B8BC31.jpeg
340D5098-56C4-4D15-8008-54C69154CA6D.jpeg
I had planned a nice easy lunge, he however had other ideas and broke a proper sweat for the first time. He even volunteered canter, which was more of an I can’t balance bowling motorbike impression 😝 but not bad for the first time I’ve not had to work harder than him for it, managed it twice each way too.

He’s really chunked up
E5227434-6BA6-4230-AEFD-EE6E357AC26C.jpeg79A8BE8D-6CFF-4261-B58C-407AA8EB0845.jpeg640C33FC-6B79-49D9-BA96-D6B1106C2879.jpegEB0E6A13-F98F-4646-AD46-83A74880EAA0.jpeg54A5594B-A88C-4A31-BAD1-201CE0CD1B14.jpeg6CFED3F0-7D4B-42AE-8D8B-37C55390483E.jpegCC94B087-1861-4EAA-BE69-F68B339419BD.jpeg
Saddle fitting Saturday 🤞

He's lovely. You can clearly see both the Arab and the Welsh, he must be very conflicted lol. I think you've got a good one there 😍

Reactions: Jessey
The difference a day makes, lunged again today and he was mostly his usual lazy self, but his exuberance yesterday seemed to help drive the canter cue home and he did a sterling job picking up calmly today 👌
F6667F69-F6ED-4381-9119-422222DAD0AF.jpeg

Reactions: Trewsers and Skib
Niko’s saddle fitting went really well, he stood and tolerated all the fussing like star and was proclaimed her best behaved client of the last month lol

As I’d thought the saddle did need a little tweak, just a smidge more flocking in the front for him and she’s recommended a different girth. I didn’t ride him for her as he’s done nothing in over a month and the wind was really, really gusty, so she’s asked I get someone to video us when I do get back on and send it to her for a check up. I’m sure it’s perfect though as she’s very good.

• Love
Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Jess loves a slosh down and wet rug on when it’s hot, Niko doesn’t really approve of being wet for any reason, it make him itchy
BE706052-D825-44E3-B7AD-22AD98047BC9.jpeg
I guess wet sand will have a somewhat similar cooling effect 🤣

I lunged monkey today, I didn’t fancy getting on as my first week of shifts has kicked my butt a bit. He was really good and I took him for a walk after to cool him off, lunge line rigged to long lines which he hasn’t done in months and he was great, went all around the houses and down the drove to a house with building work going on and tarps tied onto the fence, he was foot perfect even with them flapping, though got annoyed at me for making him stop for a picture 🤣
864CBCAE-32A7-4434-8B4E-50D5B6F8FB9A.jpeg

Sleepy pony this morning
93CC689A-E19F-4F87-8BFF-B5BD1A63AF0D.jpeg

Then a really good ride, I finally plucked up courage to follow my RIs advice and ride with a whip, a couple of tiny touches to back up my leg and we finally got a lovely consistent free walk and our first trots that didn’t feel full of anxiety from him, I think the tiny adjustment to saddle fit made a big difference. It was making me a little unstable before so he’d just put the breaks on, but we got a lovely relaxed trot today.

My shiny pennies 🥰
93E17D87-15AD-434A-A3C5-F23A50F4578F.jpeg

• Love
newrider.com