And Another Pony......

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
She is a tri-coloured 14hh mare aged 10.

Bought at auction a few months ago as a project, but owner now can't continue working with her for personal reasons (legitimately - I know her) so is selling for original auction price.

History is that she was a driving pony, then broken to ride and was so safe that she was used for RDA. But has been stood in a field with some other horses, doing nothing for quite a while.

She was lovely from the ground and had good manners. She was nice and responsive while feeling totally safe in the school in walk and trot but seemed to have no clue how to canter. I guess her driving and RDA history means she has rarely/never cantered when working??

Was fine out hacking and is totally unfazed by heavy traffic. Popped daughter on board and she remained calm and willing in walk and trot. She seems a genuine, kind pony who is just inexperienced. But very safe which is the main thing.

I'm not sure she is The One so my thoughts at the moment are that she could be a safe first pony for them to learn to ride in The Great Outdoors, while I school her as she is so green in a school. And then we would sell on. I don't know if she can jump - no-one has ever taught her to. So I think she would be perfect as someone's lovely, safe, friendly happy hacker in the future. But could she be my kids pony-teacher in the meantime????

One thing that concerns me about RDA ponies is that they make excellent lead rein. but once off the lead they can be nappy and not willing to work away from others, normally OK in normal environment but no so when away from their current home.

I saw a lovely RDA pony that was cracking just what my friend needed but once home and off the lead rein this mare became a beast. but back on the rein adorable again

I volunteer with RDA and the ponies never canter (as they're all led), so no, unless she's done other riding school work as well, I guess she might just not know how to!

KP nut would you be interested in a 10 year old grey mare? Super safe hack, jumps too and is good with kids? Not sure on her breeding but she's a solid sort and super pretty, she's clicker trained, barefoot, ridden bit less and lives out in a mixed herd right now, not sure if she's ever been bitted but can find out if she sounds like your kind of girl. If you want me to find out any more about her please pm me.
I know her and her owner. Oh and she's about 14hh.

Reactions: KP nut and Trewsers
I wouldn't consider something that has been stood in a field doing nothing for months, has been educated not to canter. likely can't jump, for novice kids.
I would wait and find something that is safe on/off lead and isn't green.

My mare's dam worked for the rda as a ride and drive. She wouldn't hack alone. So although fantastic at her job, away from her job was a no go.

Id be nervous for the reasons nf suggested, but if you did buy her to bring on and sell wont that be pretty tough on the kids? I know youd get them another pony but I know so many families who still have their first pony as the kids couldnt bare to part with it.

To be honest I don't really pay much attention to the reported history as it's often nonsense anyway. That's why I prefer youngsters direct from reputable dealers. But I've got 2 weeks to ride her in the school and take her out and about so she will let me know whether she is suitable or not. The owner wants me to ride her anyway, even if I don't buy her just so she is not left any longer. The fact that she has not been ridden for months but was fine to hack out on anyway is promising as a safe hack is a priority.

It's great that you get the chance to get to know her a bit better before making any decisions. The RDA pony I work with is a menace - she bites, kicks and bucks - so they're not always total plods! (I find her quite entertaining, she is certainly a character, although I am the only volunteer in my group who hasn't refused to lead her!) My friend had a trotter that she had to teach to canter. TBH he never really 'got' it, and generally goes from trotting to flat-out gallop when asked for it, but she only uses him for hacking anyway so it's not a problem. It's so hard finding a horse that suits your needs when you're looking, there's always a compromise somewhere!

Reactions: KP nut
I had the opportunity to ride a RDA pony who was on holiday when I was a kid (about 14 I think). For the first few days he was very quiet, but then suddenly he completely exploded. I was hacking him and jumping him and it completely blew his mind. In hindsight it really wasn't very fair on him to take him for the security of his home where he was led around in walk only, to expect him to behave doing all the things that your typical pony would do. That's my very limited experience of RDA ponies and it made me realise that they are not always completely safe in all situations.

It's great that you have 2 weeks suss the pony out though. I hope that it works out.

Reactions: Ruskii and KP nut
Rode again today. Gave her a good groom first which she seemed to enjoy. First time (yesterday) I rode with owner 'instructing' and she was getting me to establish a very fast trot before asking for canter. Which didn't work at all! Today I played around on my own. I figured ponies can breeze into an effortless canter from halt so going fast was not necessary. Instead I got her listening to my aids and lightened them progressively focusing on rhythm and responsiveness not speed. She was actually quite sensitive and was soon giving me nice transitions between halt, walk and trot. Then I asked for canter and got a couple of strides immediately before she fell back into trot as if to say oops was that what you wanted?! I asked again from trot and got half a lap. Horribly unbalanced - felt like she may even have been disunited - but she was willing which is good.
On a less positive note one of my daughters could not get a single stride of walk! Watching her I realised she was daydreaming and staring into space while flapping her legs then occasionally giving a kick then looking at me saying "she won't go'. This is clearly a pony who needs direction and will ignore unclear instructions. Which makes her safe and would make my daughter ride properly. She relies far too much on rs ponies knowing their job! Other daughter loved her and rode her well. Daughter 1 is blaming the pony for being 'a plod' which has made me cross!!

I will hack out tomorrow....

newrider.com