An equine coat appreciation thread

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
After at least 12 solid hours of rain last night this was Ales coat this morning.

Nice and dry underneath the top layer!

Also for the first time in ages he was difficult to catch this morning, obviously the grass is growing! I bought him in to wash all his legs and just give him a couple of hours out of the rain. He willing walked back out the the field no problem either so I don't think he's unhappy out there.

Anyway few pics just because I worry so much about him

Screenshot_2019-12-20-17-28-54.pngScreenshot_2019-12-20-17-28-43.pngScreenshot_2019-12-20-17-28-49.png

Do you use pig oil on her feathers or find no need for it?

This is his fourth I believe, wettest by far
No nothing.
I shorten them so they sit just resting on the grass and remove any mud from under the coronet by that's pretty much it.
Maybe rinse once or twice over the winter just to check, coincide with hoof trim/ shape.

I'm making notes - my first wet winter dealing with feathers - so far he's ok.

Ben’s coat is the same. He does come in during the day but has been out in the rain each night. He doesn’t seem to be losing any weight so I agree the grass is still growing.

My boys are the same, looked like drowned rats yesterday but on investigation their skin was still perfectly dry underneath. I took pity on Dan when he asked for some hay inside on Thursday night, but I think he was just hoping for some of the good stuff and left when he got the boring standard stuff (he's still on a diet after all his escaping antics)

That’s what Belles coat looks like too, well if you add a nice layer of thick wet mud on top!
That's the great thing about the horse. The mud is on top
Mine has bits that you can flick off, but it's all on the surface. Technically your lass is clean. :) PicsArt_12-21-01.58.50.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers
Charlie's just the same. He doesn't mind the rain at all, and his undercoat is always fluffy and dry.

Mattie just doesn't get much coat at all - a real nesh Arab - and he has to be rugged.

All four of mine are muddy up to their knees, and their backs and manes match those shown in other posts, with the top coat doing its job perfectly. But their underneaths are all clean and fluffy thanks to their generous overhanging bellies. It is the only part of Grace that is still white!

newrider.com