Am I missing something... feeding sugar lumps??

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
At yard last night talking to a couple of ladies (one around 21, studying equine sciene at uni and the other in her late 30s) who are experienced horse people - the younger was saying she had taken her horse off conditioning cubes and it had calmed his behaviour down massively. No longer went loopy when turned out (mostly stabled due to feet problems).

The other lady said her horse is quite spooky and jumpy at the moment although he's been in a lot throughout winter due to ligament (I think?) problems so not been ridden or out much.

She then pulled a sugar lump from her coat & said she had brought him another this evening but he didn't want it - and neither did the other horse. They both chuckled & called them funny creatures as they usually 'love them'.

I was dumbfounded..... am I missing something???? Am I the only person thinking the sugar and mega hyper behaviour could possibly, just possibly, be related?? :unsure: Please don't tell me I'm going mad?

One sugar lump in a whole horse is unlikely to make much difference.

I agree that one lump of sugar isn't going to have a big impact but I do find it odd that people who obsess about what their horse eats, then gives them sugar lumps, particularly if doing it regularly.

I just can't see the point in giving a horse processed sugar when they would love a slice of apple or carrot just as much. Fresh fruit or veg treats must be healthier.

I shouldn't think one sugar lump in something the size and weight of an average horse would make a noticable impact,but agree it seems a bit silly to be taking them off feed that contains sugar and then feeding them it in pure form,but nowt as queer as folk as they say:wink:

TBH I more worry about their teeth with feeding them constant sweet treats,and fruit treats TBH with the now known effects of acid on teeth.I generally feed horse treats,veg or sugar free polos for clicker training or the other rare occasions I give treats.

newrider.com