Am I asking him to do too much?

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
Started riding again after the winter - so Barney's had about two months off, turned out, just on grass and hay, which is
pretty much all he ever gets, unless he's working very hard. But after a week - that's six days out of seven - he's not his usual enthusiastic self at all. I've just been walking and a bit of trotting, out for about half an hour the first day, then about an hour .... he gets a bit puffed up a steep hill, or too much trotting, but we've only done one of each. Is he just
unfit or could something else be wrong? And should I feed him more, work him less, or just carry on? This time last year
he was quite new (I bought him in October but didn't ride much over the winter) and quite whizzy. I don't think he's too fat or too thin - I can just about feel his ribs, and his bum is nice and round although he's lost most of his muscle, but he's a cob so he does put on weight quite easily. When I got him he'd been off work for a few months, and he looked more like an overstuffed sofa than a horse...

I'd be glad of any advice.

It could very well just be that he's lost some muscle since he has been off work for so long and just been out at pasture, getting fatter and losing the muscular build. I would start slow, but after about a month or so, if he's still huffing and puffing at just walking or trotting, I would definitely get the vet to come out and check him. If you feel uncomfortable about it now, never hesitate to call the vet. Well, hope this helped a little.

My one mare who I bought last yr. was ridden 12 times trough those 3 yr. she was with her past owners. When the weather was bearable(I got her in the winter:eek: cold) I just ride her walking and a little bit of trot. I did this for about 2 moths ANd increased her troting. By early april I started to canter her and some more complecated things. By June we went to our first show. If this is your first horse This is a great way to get to know them.

It sounds as though he is just unfit so what I would suggest is not to go out everyday just a couple of times a week and not for long rides then gradually make them a bit longer and then add another day on etc but dont rush him

I'd say little and often is the best way to start. I don't think working every day will hurt at all, but I think extending ridden time to an hour after the first day was perhaps a bit quick. I'd keep it to half an hour max. for a week or two, then work him up very gradually and play it by ear. Don't forget his back muscles will probably be the first to tire, so maybe you can help by hopping off for 5 mins if he feels a little tired. (I should think your bottom would benefit too if you haven't ridden for a couple of months!)

Agree With All The Above

It's probably that he's out of shape, and lost some muscle tone. Start slow, and keep working everyday steady, and constant, and he should start "brightening up", as he gets more used to regular exercise and back into a routine. Good luck!

Maci :)

I agree with the advise you've been given above about exercising every day, keeping things steady and building it up slowly. I don't think you have anything to worry about. He just sounds abit unfit after his winter rest.

A little bucket feed after he's been ridden should help too (if you don't already). This time of year when there's no feed value in the grass, normally the hay they scoff gives them just enough feed value to maintain healthy weight/energy levels with no work involved. So a small feed after he's ridden will help to replace the energy he's burnt while he's been exercised.

Lucky old you, managing to get some riding done. Between horrendous weather, half term (nursery shut) and now being without a saddle, once again its shank's pony - or bareback, and Breeze being Breeze I'll wait for my saddle :D

Lesley

How is Breeze coming on? I've put my youngster into a schooling yard for now, as I feel she needs a 'professional' to get her going, she's too quick a thinker and needs educated - I don't like being flung to the floor! Costs a fortune though, I have no pennies left!

Our standard fitness regime we use is:

Riders - walking everywhere (within reason). Squats and weights to improve arm and leg muscles. Running up stair instead of walking and walking down backwards to strengthen bum muscles!

Horse - (3 days a week (no more than 2 days rest at a time))

Week 1 Walking only for half and hour
Week 2 Walking only for 1 hour
Week 3 Walking only for 1 hour introducing more hill work
Week 4 Walking with small amount of trotting for 1 hour
Week 5 Walking with some more trotting for 1 hour.
Week 6 Walking with some trotting and some hill work in trot for 1 hour (the whole ride not the trotting;)).
Week 7 walk,trot and a small amount of canter work.

Gradually increase the length of canter periods and the length of ride. If going for an impromptu longer ride go back the equivalent of two weeks.

This is what we do. All horses are only ridden for hacks and occasional schooling sessions. I'm not sure about for competitions but this works for us.

That is a lot of walking. I doubt that you need to take things that slowly.

Hi Lucy, Breeze is coming along nicely. Though her actual napping/bucking is a thing of the past, and we hack out on our own 95% of the time problem free, when I ask something that she's not sure about, she is quick to back up - which isn't nice.

Gates have been a major stumbling block, getting her to walk right up to a closed gate has taken alot of encouragement - getting her into position to open them was nigh on impossible. So I would walk her right up to them, tell her what a 'fine horse she was' get off and manouvere her into position from the ground, then open it and take her through. After doing this a few times I tried from the saddle on an easy gate, I was amazed, we opened it first time but put in a large circle to go round the gate, but I had to laugh - would she go back to close it! Backed straight off my legs, threatening me by bouncing her bum. I sat it out until she settled, turned in the opposite direction and got two strides of forward motion, gave her a pat, then jumped off and led her back and closed the gate. The next day she opened and closed two gates, no problem whatsoever!! She's obviously a great thinker, and forms strong oppinions quite quickly. But I do find once we get over each problem, its soon forgotten. At the moment riding is suspended, I'm in the process of getting a new saddle - hopefully this week.

Are things going well with your youngster at the training yard? I know you must be skint, just your everyday livery, feeding and shoeing costs can easily stretch the bank balance. I look forward to hearing about your escapades when you get her back.

Lesley

Hi Dizzy, she's coming on, she's thinks very quickly so you need to keep her occupied in the school or she'll think up tricks! She's good hacking out alone though. Progress is on hold now for a while because she's cut her leg in the field, silly sausage that she is. We're getting there though!

I've not even thought about gates yet!

that's a lot of walking

Yep, but it's active walking we do not like most people who we see out who slop along. Believe me you can cover a lot of ground in an hour - try leading a beginner on the roads for that length of time. Anyway we mainly hack (as I mentioned) so we don't need to be any great fitness and I'd rather do it slowly and have a horse that is rideable, than rush it and end up with a knackered horse (or 4).

PS you try doing this for 4 horses and you'd be reluctant to go much beyond a walk (I have to do it 4 times - time permitting). At the mo I'm riding 2 horses every day.

it might also be worth getting the saddle checked, as the back changes shape when the pony's unfit. my mare was off work for 2 years after a bad accident, and i used several different saddles in the fittening process. she was also quite unenthusiastic about starting work, a life of leisure and babies quite suited her! but once she was fit, she was back to herself again.

newrider.com