Almost back in the saddle

Mojojungle

Mar 25, 2018
Oxfordshire
Hi everyone, have just got back from booking my first riding lesson in 8 years!!!!
Never one to do anything by half I have a stunning 5 year old ex-racehorse called Bella as my partner in adventures.
I have been out of the saddle on medical advice since I hit my head on a metal barrier in 2012. Concussion problems put me out of action for years and I am now well enough to take that risk and get back out there.
Bella was retired from racing in April and gifted to me and we have spent the summer getting to know each other and building a bond. She snapped a tendon while racing and her owners were kind enough to allow her to come and live out her days with us as a happy hacker and ROR dressage novice.
She has been getting used to the lunge rein with expert tuition watching our big ex racer Briar.
All is set for an exciting future learning together.
But I am terrified of being shouted at in the schooling ring for my terrible posture etc

Reactions: GaryB
Good luck with your mare, has she been retrained since she came off the track? Or is that part of your adventure? You’ll have to start a diary here so we can keep up with you.

Hi welcome to the forum.

I am probably going to be the most unpopular poster, but I actually have serious concerns for your safety with what you have just taken on.
I just don't feel that the owners have been kind to you, unless you know how to reducate these ottb horses.

You have to be very realistic with what's standing in front of you, bearing in mind you have been out of action yourself.
You have an ottb, she's not an ex racer, you still have a racer. She was placed 4th six months ago.
She needs letting down, the snapped tendon requires months of rehab to heal, then she needs re educating. She might not come sound, stay sound.
She's also a winter jumper so will be used to being very active over the winter.

I do hope it works out, but having a lease in these beautiful animals I wouldn't and couldn't bring one home and manage to retrain.

Thanks everyone, we are both in safe hands. My partner is a former eventer who has retrained and competed at Badminton and other events on his two former National Hunt horses.
I am by no means a naive hobbyist and worked as a zoo keeper for over 20 years and am used to handling and being around many species, including wild equids.
Thoroughbreds have always been a passion of mine and I am well aware and prepared for the challenges ahead. Bella has had her box rest and field rehabilitation with us, and we are ready to move onto the next phase.
There will be no rush, one step at a time once we are both ready for it.

Reactions: joosie
Hi and welcome to the forum, and a big well done for including pictures :D Bella is beautiful, and she sounds very lucky to have been given a second chance after such a devastating injury. Looking forward to hearing about your progress together.

Hi welcome to the forum.

I am probably going to be the most unpopular poster, but I actually have serious concerns for your safety with what you have just taken on.
I just don't feel that the owners have been kind to you, unless you know how to reducate these ottb horses.

You have to be very realistic with what's standing in front of you, bearing in mind you have been out of action yourself.
You have an ottb, she's not an ex racer, you still have a racer. She was placed 4th six months ago.
She needs letting down, the snapped tendon requires months of rehab to heal, then she needs re educating. She might not come sound, stay sound.
She's also a winter jumper so will be used to being very active over the winter.

I do hope it works out, but having a lease in these beautiful animals I wouldn't and couldn't bring one home and manage to retrain.

See I thought this too initially however, who are we to know if someone is capable of retraining or not? I’m not criticising just sometimes think that we are all a bit quick to assume things about new people, can’t we just say hello and welcome and good luck?
Personally after a head injury so serious to stop someone riding for years a OTTTB would be the last horse I would consider, but we don’t know anyone else’s inside story other than what is said here.

Reactions: Mojojungle
See I thought this too initially however, who are we to know if someone is capable of retraining or not? I’m not criticising just sometimes think that we are all a bit quick to assume things about new people, can’t we just say hello and welcome and good luck?
Personally after a head injury so serious to stop someone riding for years a OTTTB would be the last horse I would consider, but we don’t know anyone else’s inside story other than what is said here.
I get where you are coming from. We don't know the ins and outs, but I was concerned and just making conversation about that.I did say I hope it goes well.
I suffered life changing injuries from a fall, I don't ride the type of horse that flung me like a ragdoll. I had to learn to ride again. So part of my concern from my personal experiences.

As I said I understand what you mean, but as a forum we cannot talk to each other anymore and share concerns?

Reactions: Mojojungle
I get where you are coming from. We don't know the ins and outs, but I was concerned and just making conversation about that.I did say I hope it goes well.
I suffered life changing injuries from a fall, I don't ride the type of horse that flung me like a ragdoll. I had to learn to ride again. So part of my concern from my personal experiences.

As I said I understand what you mean, but as a forum we cannot talk to each other anymore and share concerns?

Of course we can, that’s the whole point of a forum, as I said it wasn’t a criticism merely an observation on my part that’s all, I totally get where you are coming from. I would say I’ll keep my mouth shut in future but I know that’s probably not going to happen, sorry if I came across offensive that really wasn’t my intention.

It is your head you need to take care of. Not someone shouting at you. I was told not to ride for 6 months but am quite wary of resuming and wouldnt myself choose a TB. And about position of all things - not safety??

Presumably you chose the teacher with care? And if there is shouting about position just choose another. There are lots of genuine new learner riders on this forum and shouting and bullying by teachers of any rank is something we dont usually tolerate?

It is your head you need to take care of. Not someone shouting at you. I was told not to ride for 6 months but am quite wary of resuming and wouldnt myself choose a TB. And about position of all things - not safety??

Presumably you chose the teacher with care? And if there is shouting about position just choose another. There are lots of genuine new learner riders on this forum and shouting and bullying by teachers of any rank is something we dont usually tolerate?
It has been a long road back to fitness for me and I am very aware of the challenges that lay ahead.
The thing is, I have had life limited for all of this time and have rebuilt myself. Safety is an in built mechanism with me and I am an instinctive person with regards to my choices of animal companions.
Gorillas, tigers, gibbons, sealions, dogs and horses - all have their own species traits but also they all have individual personalities.
If the bond and the connection is there then it is a delight to work and learn together.
Never make assumptions about anything, trust your own instincts and with hard work the rest will follow.
The reason I am nervous about my riding lesson is that feeling from being a kid in a schooling ring with loads of others, and feeling like they are all far more competent than you.
My instructor is an amazing lady and it will be an honour to be back in the saddle, however slouchy I might be lol.
Once I am ready and Bella is ready then we will be schooled together at home

Reactions: orbvalley
newrider.com