Ales mites -update

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I think that's a good compromise on what to take off to start with, got rid of the worst bits for lice and left him a little protection for his back.

Reactions: Ale

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
So now I'm not sure about what rug to use overnight 🤦‍♀️ meant to be 1 degree tonight. I could put a thin stable rug on under a lightweight, or just the lightweight. Or a medium that I have.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Id go light tonight and for a few nights. If he feels cold in the morning go medium tomorrow night.
Forecaster just said turning colder with added wind for sunday. So medium then.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I checked my phone before putting Niko’s lightweight on as it said 4c, listening to local radio driving home they said -3c 😬 he’s in a very sheltered paddock at least but I’m not going back to change it now.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
He was perfectly fine temperature wise this morning in his lightweight thanks. It's off now and left him and the bald shettie with some hay and in the just risen sun.

I think they were liveryman clippers 😊

Reactions: Jessey and Yogi0124

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
So almost all the patches are growing back really well. But he's itchy again between his back legs, no hair loss or anything, and I don't want to take any chances that it's mites so I'm going to ring the vets again Monday and get them to come have a look.

Reactions: Jessey

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Did you clip between his back legs and up along by his tail? It may be the mites have migrated to this as another warm spot now that you've clipped parts of him.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Did you clip between his back legs and up along by his tail? It may be the mites have migrated to this as another warm spot now that you've clipped parts of him.
I agree. I would clip everything off him and treat for mites. If he is still itchy then call the vet. I think that is what they would advise you do anyway - could you call for advise without them coming out to see him?

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I think I'll get the vet before I take anymore hair off. It's really not presenting like anything I know of. If it was mites then I don't understand why some of the areas (his face) would be growing back really well as I haven't treated for mites. Only lice. I barely see him itch, his coat seems to be improving with treatment for fungal but then he also seems better after using deosect.
It's just so confusing. All I can see is that when the hair comes off the skin has a white residue covering it. I don't think my vets will really know tbh but he's lost some large patches of hair and it's growing back very slowly

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
What I'm also really concerned about is that his skin on these areas has changed from pink to blotchy grey. I really just want the vet out as soon as possible as I'm worrying he has something going on internally as the areas are so symmetrical.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I doubt it would be mites on the body. Generally there on the legs.
Could he have developed sweet itch.

Today i found 4 ticks on chunky. He had little lumps which made me look more closely. Hes not itchy though.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Sorry my bad, I meant to say lice but had been discussing leg mites with someone else so had them at the front of my mind!

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think it's sweet itch, could be wrong though but it doesn't seem like the sweet itch I've seen, I've barely seen him itch. We have a sweet itch pony at the yard she's always itchy. It's very odd.

Vet thought lice when I rang so I've now treated him twice since most his hair came off and due to the itching between his back legs I think it's time to get them out to take a look. There's lots of baby hairs growing all over the bald bits. His hair is shedding all over way faster than normal and he's dandruffy still.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Separate to the lice issue, has his sheath been cleaned recently, including elbow deep into the pocket behind? That can definitely make them itchy if it’s grubby. And I’d also check for pinworm, those little buggers can make them itch in weird ways trying to get it.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Separate to the lice issue, has his sheath been cleaned recently, including elbow deep into the pocket behind? That can definitely make them itchy if it’s grubby. And I’d also check for pinworm, those little buggers can make them itch in weird ways trying to get it.
I cleaned his sheath when it was swollen but he's not itching his sheath at all now and no swelling since. I'll have a look for pinworm but his bum seems the least itchy area.

I was with him for a while this morning and the only area I saw him itch and only once, was a clipped bit behind his shoulder. He's only itchy one side between his legs. When you touch him at the moment it's like he's bothered by it, like a reaction to a fly. Very strange.

Reactions: Jessey

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I hope you can get to the bottom of it Ale, I’ve no clue at all. Have to say his clip really shows just what a fantastic winter coat Haffys grow though, he looks very sweet clipped.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I groomed him all over this morning and no new areas. Then I get there tonight and there's a large circular new bald area. This one looks sore too, the others haven't. Definitely ringing the vet first thing tomorrow 😔

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Little update on this thread. So he's alot less bald now. No new spots and everything growing back well. He's got another dectomax jab next week, I'm taking more of his hair off Thurs (I've bought new clippers as easier to have my own in the long run). I've started washing everything that has touched him and will just use the bare minimum on him until fully recovered as easier to keep on top of washing it. I'm continuing with the deosect and spraying his shelter etc with it too and using lice powder on his rug daily. Hopefully this is the start of the end of his skin problems🤞 IMG_20220412_064534.jpg
The cream is just to protect the skin of the slightly thinner hair as supposed to be sunny later