Advice please - Dismounting from bareback?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
If anyone here has any tips or techniques for the stiff and elderly on dismounting safely from bareback with no saddle and without using a mounting block, I should be obliged.

For me bareback is a special summer treat. But owing to death of share horse it is two years since I last did it. I have forgotten how I used to dismount and couldnt work out how to lift my right leg over new substantial horse when dismounting.

Could do with some detailed instructions on where to place my head, body etc. Should I have bent my right leg at the knee?

Feared rolling off onto the ground. So admitted defeat and used the RDA mounting block. Not a major problem, but I would like to get off without it if I can.

At our riding school, no one is obliged to ride bareback, but suitable learners are offered the chance. There are few things which make me as happy in life.

I lean all the way forwards, Making sure they cannot put their head down. make sure my left leg is leading the gravitational pull, and just let my right leg slide over the back. Have a good grip on neck and mane.

^yup^ That! Take it slowly and slither - let gravity assist :biggrin:

Last edited:
It's lot easier than with a saddle because you haven't got the cantle to negotiate ... Still, I don't think I'd dare ride bareback these days - I'm impressed!

I do the same unless I get off at my mounting platform, its the same height as my foot when mounted, I have lower back issues and this really helps.

Slither!!! Just the same as dismounting from a saddle except you haven't got to throw your leg up over the cantle, so IMO, an awful lot easier.

It's lot easier than with a saddle because you haven't got the cantle to negotiate ... Still, I don't think I'd dare ride bareback these days - I'm impressed!

Yes I agree ! Especially if you have been out on a western saddle and your t-shirt inadvertantly gets stuck on the horn... and leaves you topless on the yard with other hackers...:frown:

I really just dismount the same as with a saddle, as others have said lean forward and try and keeping straight ( centred) for as long as possible when swinging leg over his butt before the slither down!

I love the way the word "slither" seems to be a theme. Elegance has left the building!

Definitely just embrace the slither! I'm not old or stiff, but tend to find when I get off like I do with a saddle I'm a bit too exuberant and go shooting off the side. Just go with gravity and your trusty steeds slippery coat.

To be honest I find the getting on the hard part :redface: so kudos to you!

A quick thank you to everyone. I tried your method especially Wally and that was a great help. Horse is close hogged so threw my arms round his neck and leaned forward with my head only slightly across to the right. it felt safe and I think I would have done it - just - if circumstances had been different.
But demands on RI's time and attention and worries today at the yard meant I decided to speed things up and get off at the block. But I have noted it all and on a more leisurely afternoon, may well try again and manage it.

OH took some pics of me riding new horse, which I may post but I dont deserve congratulations. It is our RI who deserves admiration. She can teach anyone to ride bareback - after all she taught me! She uses bareback to improve balance and give you a direct feel of the horse - and once you have the hang of it, you come off the lunge and you have a normal lesson with no saddle. If you are scatty like me you can even forget you have no saddle!

I used to throw my leg over the front and slide down the side but i was considerably younger then dont think i would do bareback now.

Totally agree about the bareback feeling, it's great to be able to tune into your horses every little movement without the restrictions of a saddle. Tis alog time since I did it mind !

newrider.com