Advice on bringing in from the field

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
Ok fellow NR's looking for some advice please!:)

Mr C is turned out in a field with 3 other geldings. Due to the different times that liveries work etc, he is quite often left out with one other gelding while the other 2 are brought in and as I usually get there before this horses owner I bring the 2 boys in which I have no problem doing.

This other gelding is a gate hogger - from the minute you turn him out to the minute you bring him in he's usually at the gate.

He also doesn't particularly like Mr C so the problems occur when I go to bring them in.

As this other boy has kicked at C a couple of times I tend to bring him in first. Mr C used to be really good and standing back and patiently waiting until it was his turn but recently he's started to edge towards the gate when I'm bringing in the other horse.

Last night, as I was putting the headcollar on the other boy, Mr C snuck up behind me and I literally didn't know he was there until his head was on my shoulder - this resulted in ther other boy getting annoyed and me getting quite a sore bite. They then proceeded to bicker over the top of my head.

I chased C off with the leadrop but when you do this he looks confused - I suppose in his mind I'm his mum and he automatically thinks I'm coming to get him and TBH I don't like chasing him away only to go back to catch him 2 minutes later.

So what do I do?

I could try and bring them in togther although the other boy is a bit cheeky and likes to run away from you.

Do I teach casper to stand back or do I try and teach this other horse to stand back and let me bring my horse in first?

Thanks guys!:)

it's a difficult one but i think you should teach this other horse that he will not always be brought in first.

My pony is the timid one in the filed and sometmes i have had problems with the others barging at the gate when trying to get him out, but i just make myself big, swing the leadrope, try to move them back etc. most times i have been succesful but on odd accasions i've had similar situation to the one you had last night with horses fighting over the top of me. I think now though they know i'm coming for Fin and they don't even try it

personally I would ignore the other horse and walk a good way into the field and catch Casper... thus not always doing it at the gate. I would chase th eother horse off and get Casper in first.. then go back and worry about the other one :)

Thanks everyone!

Catching them at the gate is I bad idea - I know I need to move them away but it's soooo muddy that I'm used to just putting the head collar on over the gate and then bringing them through.

I'm glad other people are of the opinion that I should make the other horse wait - it's harder if you know you're going to have to train/discipline someone elses horse and is always easier to just look to what you can do with your own to solve the problem.

I've got a massive schooling stick that I used to use for a similar reason at my old yard so we'll see how I get on tonight!:)

Could you get somebody to come with you? I am a complete wimp at catching from a herd on my own (don't need to now as we've just the two together!!!). Agree tho that you should catch Casper first - knickers to the other horse!!! oh and yes, do wear your hat - and gloves.

:eek::eek::eek: I have to admit to never wearing hat or gloves when bringing in and have been known to lead Mr C with just the rope draped around his neck!:eek::eek:

Boys were all in tonight so didn't have to deal with the problem but will have to address it some time soon.:)

:eek::eek::eek: I have to admit to never wearing hat or gloves when bringing in and have been known to lead Mr C with just the rope draped around his neck!:eek::eek:

That's me although half the time I don't even bother with the rope and just have Joy walk next to me up to the yard :eek:

Boys were all in tonight so didn't have to deal with the problem but will have to address it some time soon.:)

baaad!! I dont wear my hat to get Blue when he's by himself, but with other horses in the field I did. If you are going to have to go in there with a schooling whip,and they already had a spat over the top of your head please wear your hat :(:eek: I know someone who who was KO'd WEARING her hat bringing in from the field.. and remember even our own much-loved nik-n-kia got a wallop to the head not long ago.

......sorry, slinks off to corner :eek:

baaad!! I dont wear my hat to get Blue when he's by himself, but with other horses in the field I did. If you are going to have to go in there with a schooling whip,and they already had a spat over the top of your head please wear your hat :(:eek: I know someone who who was KO'd WEARING her hat bringing in from the field.. and remember even our own much-loved nik-n-kia got a wallop to the head not long ago.

......sorry, slinks off to corner :eek:

I promise to wear my hat next time!:D

would your yard owner allow you to tape of a small section around the gate, like a holding pen? I have used this method in the past,and also have it at my yard now. It allows me to let kai through only, then safely headcoller him up, with no fuss. Hes got used to it and knows it his little safe catching area as he dashes in quick!

:)

newrider.com