Advice needed re loan/share

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
Could you give me some advice re how much to charge/pitfalls/tips on loaning out one of our horses.
We have never done this before, I have had a couple of girls 'share' Roary (my daughters horse) but they proclaimed to know more than they actually did and it put me off.
Daughter is way too busy to ride Roary and my younger daughters friend is really interested in long term loan. We know her and she is lovely and perfect for Roary, its not really about the money, more about him getting some attention but eldest daughter has said £25 per week and younger daughter is saying this is way too much.
He is a smashing boy, he would stay at our place so there would be not field rent for her to pay.

Could you give me some advice re how much to charge/pitfalls/tips on loaning out one of our horses.
We have never done this before, I have had a couple of girls 'share' Roary (my daughters horse) but they proclaimed to know more than they actually did and it put me off.
Daughter is way too busy to ride Roary and my younger daughters friend is really interested in long term loan. We know her and she is lovely and perfect for Roary, its not really about the money, more about him getting some attention but eldest daughter has said £25 per week and younger daughter is saying this is way too much.
He is a smashing boy, he would stay at our place so there would be not field rent for her to pay.

Normally on a loan it would be the loanee just paying all the bills eg.food, livery, farrier, dentist, bedding, hay etc rather then paying a set amount to the owner each week and they would look after and ride the horse as if it was their own.

If it was me I'd have a loan agreement in place which basically says what the minimum do's and don't are such as that you would like his saddle and teeth checked yearly at least etc and how much notice of the loan ending either way.

It probably would come to around £25 a week if not paying/charging livery though but that would be what the loanee would need to pay to various people rather then yourselves.

I think eldest wants to keep an eye on him still, so we would supply all his feed, farrier, field etc - loaner would just pay the £25 which is a lot less than a riding school so everyone should win - especially Roary :dance:
Any pointers regarding a loan agreement? how to word it etc would be really really helpful

I think eldest wants to keep an eye on him still, so we would supply all his feed, farrier, field etc - loaner would just pay the £25 which is a lot less than a riding school so everyone should win - especially Roary :dance:
Any pointers regarding a loan agreement? how to word it etc would be really really helpful

Thats a fair ammount my sharer was happy to pay that to loan my pony for hacking/schooling.

I'd agree that that sounds good then..

I think the bhs does a loan agreement that you could alter to suit what you want. Just put in there that the £25 a week charge is to cover all of his costs.

newrider.com