Advice needed about Elouise - She's gone a bit nuts!!

MrsCarter

Lovin' my herd :D
Oct 9, 2007
S.Yorks
Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice about Elouise.

For the past week or so she's been spookier than usual. The slightest noise has her eyes out on stalks and she's prancing about like a lippizaner stallion :eek:

Leading her to the field has become a pain as she's pulling like a train whilst snorting and generally making a fool of herself.

I'm aware that spring is in the air but she wasn't like this last year.

The only thing that has changed is that I have been feeding her herbi chop instead of molli chop (she got fussy about Alfa A).
Surely that stuff can't make her turn into a mentalist? Or can it?

Picking up some MolliChaff Calmer on Saturday LOL :)

The other thing she's doing more of is a fantastic snapping crocodile impression whilst I'm buckling and unbuckling the chest of her rug!!! She's ALWAYS done it but MY LIFE it's far worse lately!!!

Do you think it's possible for her to become 'mareish' whilst in season even though she's never been before??

HELP ME GET MY QUIET DEPENDABLE GIRL BACK hahahahaha :D

Answers on a postcard please LOL :D

Here's a pic of the minx looking like butter wouldn't melt!!!

Frontheadshot.jpg

Cheers Guys xxx

humm maybe it is just spring, think how good she looks and she is prob feelin a million dollars, so she may just have a funny 4 weeks then back to little elouise...???

i would definatly say 'spring' and 'in season' poor love!:) get her some paracetomol and a hot water bottle for her tummy!! :D;)

Can you turn her out more ? Let her get rid of her excess energy.. I seem to have avoided the Spring madness this year by turfing them out 24/7 already :)

It's either that or if you really can't put up with it then something like Magic for a few weeks until she calms down ?

Can you turn her out more ? Let her get rid of her excess energy.. I seem to have avoided the Spring madness this year by turfing them out 24/7 already :)

It's either that or if you really can't put up with it then something like Magic for a few weeks until she calms down ?

She's turned out for about 9 hours a day but I suppose I could extend that :D
I think it's just come as a shock as she was a perfect angel last year. This is the 1st spring I have owned her while she's been fit and well as mikh said :D
Poor girl was still a bit of a mess in spring last year as I got her in early November and I was still building her up :)

Honey is on Magnitude which has worked ABSOLUTE wonders with her as she was as mareish as they come. Would that help do you think (although I am aware that this only really deals with magnesium deficiency??)

The wonders of TB mares eh :rolleyes:

xxx

Agree with BIrish, more turnout and maybe working her hard so she has less excess energy. It probably is just Spring...Belle turned into a fire breathing dragon on the way home from a hack, she's not done that before, I worked her extra in the field afterwards:rolleyes: (wretched snow and rain - the field is too wet for schooling now:mad:)

Try some Magnitude or mag oxide as it is often lacking in grazing this time of year.

sorry cross posted....

Try some Magnitude or mag oxide as it is often lacking in grazing this time of year.

sorry cross posted....

That was my thought too.

When the grass statrts to come in and grows quickly in spring, and often in autumn too, it can be lacking in magnessium.

yeah wouldnt worry, its just the season. we had a funny turn just after new year although I blame the moon. my horse decided that a scramble up a muddly slope would be fun (out riding n singing away n next he was on his knees half way up some steep slope, I just closed my eyes n held on) a friends horse jumped out its stable getting his legs cought in the process and another friends horse dragged her into a tree. All horses at different yards and all within the same week - spooky :eek:

I did reduce his feed tho n tried working him harder incase it wasnt the moon :p

Thanks Clava & Joyscarer - Looks like Honey will have to share her magnitude for a while LOL :D xx

I'll definitely ride Elouise more too!!! She was a cow the other day in the school but as soon as I took her out onto the road she became a bit of a dobbin so at least that's something :D xx

yeah wouldnt worry, its just the season. we had a funny turn between just after new year although I blame the moon. my horse decided that a scramble up a muddly slope would be fun (out riding n singing away n next he was on his knees half way up some steep slope, I just closed my eyes n held on) a friends horse jumped out its stable getting his legs cought in the process and another friends horse dragged her into a tree. All horses at different yards and all within the same week - spooky :eek:

That *IS* spooky LOL. Hope you were both ok :)

all is going well now.:D trying to persuade him now that cantering in a field isnt the most exciting thing IN the world and we are doing it every day until he gets bored :D:p

It's okay - I know Q is definately gay, he's getting 'mareish' too!! Forward going isn't the word to describe him speed trotting about the arena snorting last night!!

Maybe try a bit of Magic as a temporary solution, give her a bit more turnout and work her! Spring is definately on it's way and if she's in season, she doesn't need a reason to be a nightMARE lol ;)

Im so glad I came across this thread cos I was starting to worry that someone had been feeding my boy something funny cos he has been prancing around snorting like a loony recently and there has been no change in his routine, feed etc.

If it is spring in the air then Ive got a long 6 weeks ahead of me until turn out:eek:

Spring grass turns them loony - recall reading somewhere decent spring grass gives as much oomph as a bucket of oats :eek:
that, combined with first season, and you're guaranteed a nutter for the next few weeks...Mine's the same :eek:

I agree with the first season of the year always making them far more mareish than normal.My mare Summer was a lovely horse to handle on the ground except when she had the first couple of seasons when she would become a total nightmare. I couldn't ride her when she was like that as she was just far too dangerous.The rest of the year she was fantastic in every way. Definitely a touch of spring fever too as the grass is just starting to grow nicely,its the time of year mares start to look to get in foal,the weather changes and they just feel really good about themselves.

newrider.com