advice about bitting a youngster....

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
Alf is going to be 3 at the end of may (How time flies!!) and he hasnt been bitted up yet. I am keen to get this sorted as I would like to start long reining him. Am following PFB thread with great interest:tongue:. But my question is where do I start, I know I need a bit, I have bought him a happy mouth straight bar but then someone said I should use the snaffle with lozenge, so bought one of them, and then someone else said to buy one with a loose roller thinging in the middle, so I bought one of them (are you getting the sense that I am a little indecisive:unsure:). So I now have a full array of bits, a lovely libbys webbing bridle (thanks Notpoodle for advice) but not sure which one to use, how long to leave it in for, should i put in on and then stay with him in the field while I poo pick, should he be tied up............once i have a plan i will start it asap and make sure i feed back to give me the kick up the bottom that i need:redface: Someone suggested long reining him in a halter but to be honest he is a strong necked fjord that is definately enjoying the new spring grass so I stand no chance:biggrin:

I've been told getting them used to the bit, is best started by letting them stand in their stable with just the bridle on, and no reins, getting them used to the feel of the bit without any pressure, as soon as they stand quietly with the bit in their mouth (they'll be opening and closing their mouth quite a lot at first, trying to push their tongue over it), give them another 5 mins, the remove the bridle, and repeat until they're happy to accept the bit stress free.
I didn't rush Bailey, he's had it in twice in 6 months, as I weren't doing much ground work anyway (snow and op got in the way).. take your time, and make this part of the process as pleasant as possible, and you'll be at the next stage before you know it:wink:
Sorry not very informative, shadow was already accustomed to the bit when I got him, and I didn't do much with Bailey, this is info past onto me when I first bitted Bailey..

I've been told getting them used to the bit, is best started by letting them stand in their stable with just the bridle on, and no reins, getting them used to the feel of the bit without any pressure, as soon as they stand quietly with the bit in their mouth (they'll be opening and closing their mouth quite a lot at first, trying to push their tongue over it), give them another 5 mins, the remove the bridle, and repeat until they're happy to accept the bit stress free.
I didn't rush Bailey, he's had it in twice in 6 months, as I weren't doing much ground work anyway (snow and op got in the way).. take your time, and make this part of the process as pleasant as possible, and you'll be at the next stage before you know it:wink:
Sorry not very informative, shadow was already accustomed to the bit when I got him, and I didn't do much with Bailey, this is info past onto me when I first bitted Bailey..

My friend has a 2yr old and has done what you have done and is happy to wear a bit. She is taking her time as well.

Thank you DS, Im in know desperate rush just think it would be good to introduce it now so he can get out and about abit in the coming months. We've been out round our cross country course for a walk a fair few times but he is VERY full of himself at the moment. I cant use the stable at the moment as the M25 works still going on, so would you suggest tying him up at the gate where there is some lovely grass/:unsure:put a haynet up, or I could section a small area off in the field so he is contained but not tied

A good way to get the youngster to open their mouth to accept the bit is to put a little honey on it, you'll soon have her opening her mouth in anticipation in no time:wink: She'll be getting rewarded for good behaviour, and after a few sessions start not to put it on each time, so in a way it works like clicker training :)

Last edited:
A good way to get the youngster to open their mouth to accept the bit is to put a little honey on it, you'll soon have her opening her mouth in anticipation in no time:wink: She'll be getting rewarded for good behaviour, and then start not putting it on each time, so in a way works like clicker training :)

thank you for the tip, I want it to be as stress free as possible so any little incentive is good:tongue:

Thank you DS, Im in know desperate rush just think it would be good to introduce it now so he can get out and about abit in the coming months. We've been out round our cross country course for a walk a fair few times but he is VERY full of himself at the moment. I cant use the stable at the moment as the M25 works still going on, so would you suggest tying him up at the gate where there is some lovely grass/:unsure:put a haynet up, or I could section a small area off in the field so he is contained but not tied

Take the noseband off the bridle, and put the bridle over the headcollar, and section off an area, if you have to tie up, don't clip the rope on the bit, just on the head collar, you must not put too much pressure on the mouth yet at this stage :) and yes a haynets fine, he'll have to get used to eating through one

newrider.com