Absolutely proud as punch!

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
It was decided without my knowledge yesterday that R, a fellow livery who I have utmost respect for, would ride Sham yesterday.

So I tacked her up and took her out to the school, where R mounted her from the ground (stood like a rock) then walked her round the school. She then asked for trot and Sham went beautifully, but spoiled herself by napping badly at the gate (something she's never done with me) because she was being asked to WORK for the first time in I don't know when.

Once she realised that she WAS going to work she settled down to the point where R decided to ask for canter, just to see.

Sham struck off on the right leg straight away, but she's so unbalanced she had to stop, so R asked her again on the next circuit and she cantered right down the long side of the school. She looked absolutely stunning. :inlove:

R's verdict: she's a very smooth comfortable ride, and knows a lot more than we'd given her credit for (I'd assumed she knew nothing as her previous owner's a total novice and only ever hacked out, and we know little of Sham's pre-rescue life, other than she's had a couple of foals) but she's very stiff in the poll which makes her very unbalanced.

After twenty minutes of unaccustomed work she didn't even break sweat, and showed not one bit of stiffness when I turned her out this morning.

We've got the back lady coming on Friday, so add this to my chat with the instructor last Saturday, and by the end of this month we should be making real progress, and R has promised to help in any way she can.

Brilliant! I want to know more about Sham - do you have a blog? Or can I have a quick synopsis (being new round these 'ere parts!)?

Sometimes and I know it is a hard thing to do but having someone else ride you horse can tell you so much and your horse and your own riding.

When things were really bad with Ginger I asked a friend that I trusted to get on, She confirmed what I was feeling and this out my mind at rest that I was not useless and he was being awful and also that he was stiff in his poll!!

All this helped me to make the next couple of moves with him that have done wonders for him and me.

I don't like the mounting from the ground thing through this would have annoyed me it also puts pressure and twists the back not necessary when on the yard when things to mount from are all around you. sorry off topic

No blog I'm afraid - not disciplined enough!

About me: riding since the age of nine, rode everything, including nutjobs and idiots through my teens, gave up riding for about ten years, started again when my son took an interest, then had another long break. Got back into horses about five years ago, then suddenly lost my confidence for no apparent reason.

Kelly: my dream horse - dapple grey Connemara x ID, retired from showjumping with navicular, taught me loads, helped me enjoy riding again, then she died suddenly in November 2011, leaving me heartbroken and devastated.

Sham: a nine year old 15hh dark bay Welsh x TB mare, bought in January 2012 from a lady who acquired her through a rescue society. Has a history of abuse and was headshy, nervous and unpredictable. One year down the line she is very placid and kind, a dream to handle, with lovely manners.

My confidence is still non-existent, but I have a lot of help and support, and I've just met a lovely instructor who may hold the key to my problems.

ShameditedJuly_zps7940a9e7.jpg

Sometimes and I know it is a hard thing to do but having someone else ride you horse can tell you so much and your horse and your own riding.

When things were really bad with Ginger I asked a friend that I trusted to get on, She confirmed what I was feeling and this out my mind at rest that I was not useless and he was being awful and also that he was stiff in his poll!!

All this helped me to make the next couple of moves with him that have done wonders for him and me.

I don't like the mounting from the ground thing through this would have annoyed me it also puts pressure and twists the back not necessary when on the yard when things to mount from are all around you. sorry off topic

You're so right, and it really helps see that your horse is just as well behaved when ridden as on the ground!

I have to agree about mounting though - R's a tiny little thing, so not like an elephant like me getting on. She wanted to get on in the school and Sham had started to waltz about at the mounting block so she jumped on with all the lightness and agility of a twenty five year old ex jockey.

So nice to read your post DD :bounce: it's lovely when you feel so proud and quite rightly too.

She's beautiful. I like to hear stories about success with nervous mares as mine has her little issues!

newrider.com