A Saddle for Sasa - Advice Needed

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Tub of lard is now going out for walks in hand. I am still unsure as to whether or not she is broken but it is getting to the time of thinking about saddles. What to do?

She is broad flat backed, blooming enormous. Not too short coupled but at 14hh high and across she is a large lady. She is also fairly fat. There may be ribs somewhere but you would need to use a bacon slicer to find them. She is a bit gorilla like in build, but it is the comtois shape.

"The confirmation of the Comtois describes a draft horse with a large head, alert eyes and small ears. A straight neck joins the body, which is stocky and powerful with a deep girth. The back is long and straight. They have short, strong legs with little feather and muscular hindquarters. The mane and tail are both thick".

She is definitely deep and broad, try stretching under her to grab a surcingle strap.

I have a 17.5 inch Albion VSD which is straight cut and sits behind the shoulder, I popped it on her and it sat quite nicely. But clearly I need an expert to come out, and double check and/or get a new saddle.

Any recommendations Ayrshire or Dumfries and Galloway?

Would a treeless be better given she is going to hopefully lose some flab and change shape?

I was going to suggest a treeless, I absolutely ADORE my Barefoot:wub:

Although obviously it still needs to fit properly it would probably give you
more leeway as she gains/looses weight and muscles up a bit.

Same as above, or an adjustable gullet - but madams back also changes shape with fat/muscle not just the gulet area

I think though PFB thats the beauty of a treeless, they are so much
less 'rigid', my Barefoot is just soooo soft, as long as you check for pressure points they 'fit' such a wide
range of Horses AND I find it so much more comfortable than a 'normal' saddle.

Yeah, sorry I was on phone so didnt reply properly - that was meant to be against having an adjustable gullet as the back panels shape won't change if herback changes shape and why treeless may be a good option

I'd get a saddle fitter out and try and range of saddles to see what fits best. If you can also sit on them on saddle racks you're quite likely to find one you both like. I personally like Saddle Company saddles and also loved my old Freeforms but there isn't a saddle out there that suits everyone so you're best off trying a few. Good luck! :)

Friend has cob who has a flat back and large girth!! She has got a Barefoot treeless and have to say horse goes far better in that than Wintec cob or whatever they suggest for non withered horses.

Ziggy is 14.1 / 14.2 with a very very short back and a very very wide girth. He has a Kent & Masters Cob, 17" extra wide, and it fits him nicely with a half sheepskin pad.

Edited to add: ps, I have never found any ribs on him either!

Ziggy is 14.1 / 14.2 with a very very short back and a very very wide girth. He has a Kent & Masters Cob, 17" extra wide, and it fits him nicely with a half sheepskin pad.

Edited to add: ps, I have never found any ribs on him either!

Is it worrying that my boy is a 15.2hh Belgian draft coffee table with EXACTLY the same saddle as you Jane!! Adjustable gullets are fantabulous and this saddle is incredibly comfortable - my pride and joy.

Is it worrying that my boy is a 15.2hh Belgian draft coffee table with EXACTLY the same saddle as you Jane!! Adjustable gullets are fantabulous and this saddle is incredibly comfortable - my pride and joy.

Blimey! How about that!

Obviously we are both women of taste and discretion. Now we need to get Sasa into one :smug:

I had a look on their website at the cob extra wide.

I have had wonderful news as Poohsmate is going to call in to view Sasa and saddle and advise so i am not worrying anymore as I know i have someone coming to see her whose advice I can rely on.

So first stage of problem solved.

I'm not sure if Cicely Thorne covers your area or not? I really like her, knows her stuff.

Ditto, she is very good. I used her on HH101 recommendation.
Depends what you want to do tho as you could be buying saddles constantly for her. 17.5 may just be too long also.
I have a short coupled Highland and she's recommended the Highland & Cob saddle which I will be saving for. They are designed for sofa shapes.
I managed to find an xxw saddle which does the job just now but I have very
long legs from hips to thighs and it doesnt quite fit me.

Sasa and Poohsmate have met today and I think i will have to watch that PM does not return in dead of night was a box and whisk her away. Sasa clearly liked him greatly and it appeared very mutual......

I am thrilled that she was reported to have an excellent back, no previous trauma, and while my own saddle is just a tiny bit too narrow, she is not a difficult shape! She is deceptive, as first impressions are that you are trying to fit a saddle to an elephant, but she actually is not difficult to fit, and my m/w saddle is just a tad too narrow. I actually feel much more confident about it, as my gut feeling was my saddle was pretty good fit, and this was confirmed, just need it is a wider template! So we have an action plan to get her sorted out - whew much relieved that it all sounds achievable and so pleased that she was given the thumbs up and that someone else thinks she is a genuine nice little mare.

Again thank you so much PM for calling by as it's another of the many work in progress issues that can be sorted now!

steady on, she is still unsound, pretty sure she isn't broken, so it won't be tomorrow! but bit by bit we are getting things sorted. I tried a bridle on her, doubt she is bitted, so may start her on a bitless bridle despite her being a big lass, and I am sure it will be more difficult to get her moving than to stop her....

Sasa and Poohsmate have met today and I think i will have to watch that PM does not return in dead of night was a box and whisk her away. Sasa clearly liked him greatly and it appeared very mutual......

I am thrilled that she was reported to have an excellent back, no previous trauma, and while my own saddle is just a tiny bit too narrow, she is not a difficult shape! She is deceptive, as first impressions are that you are trying to fit a saddle to an elephant, but she actually is not difficult to fit, and my m/w saddle is just a tad too narrow. I actually feel much more confident about it, as my gut feeling was my saddle was pretty good fit, and this was confirmed, just need it is a wider template! So we have an action plan to get her sorted out - whew much relieved that it all sounds achievable and so pleased that she was given the thumbs up and that someone else thinks she is a genuine nice little mare.

Again thank you so much PM for calling by as it's another of the many work in progress issues that can be sorted now!

Hello..back home at last!!! it was great to meet you and the herd today LOL...
Sasha is lovely, she can come and live here anytime:wavespin: and the donks are something else!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

newrider.com