A question about minis and fencing

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So happy Ale now has a mini companion back, they spend alot of time together ? Shetland is free roaming as nothing keeps him in. This is fine I'm happy for him to come and go into my fields. However when I'm fully resting my fields I would maybe prefer to keep him out.

I'm not sure any electric fencing will keep him out, so not really sure there is anything I can do? How much can one little Shetland affect a fully resting field I wonder.

Pic of the little trouble maker this Eve, ale was right behind me, other side of the fence. IMG_20201225_174202.jpg

Hmm, I think chunky is right on that score! I used to look after my friend's shetties sometimes and they were great at helping themselves to the fields that weren't in use lol
And, it is surprising how much those little hooves can still churn up land. (My friend had two to be fair though).
Sorry, that's not very helpful !

I would be cross if i was resting my field and someone else horse was eating it off. What about worm control if you are all on different worming regimes.

It's okay they are all on the same worming program, Ale I just do poo samples and them worm for encysted. He was with us before for a couple of years and never had a problem. It was more just that I'm curious about if there is a way I can possibly keep him out of half an acre that I'm resting. Just because I'm looking to harrow and reseed this winter field when it dries up so would be good if possible to keep him of it then

I'd be as concerned about the Shetland as I would the field. Who owns him? I'd be inclined to ask them if they'd go halves on some electric fencing and a battery and use it to set a very low strand around any area you're resting, it's as much in their interests to keep him out as it is yours.

I'm wondering if I took the planks off pallets and put them low around the fence but then id be worried about ale getting his leg stuck

Id add some more strands or tape. Yes i was also thinking free range pony will be a balloon and asking for lami.

We have 2 strands at the moment, 40mm tape and wooden posts. I could certainly put a lower strand in, as he's going underneath, was worried about the other horses getting a leg stuck in that though? We are not on main power, but I have been thinking about getting a new energiser and battery set up for my main fencing. So this old energiser and battery could be moved to that one lower strand.

I think that would be your best bet Ale.. Would you be happier if you only put the lower strand up when the field was being rested? But realistically I don't think horses are likely to get caught up in it as long as it's kept taut.

Its not really advisable just to power one strand on a fence if you have other wires above done by another energizer. If the horse goes through and the wires touch it could mess up an energiser or both. Your better off having a complete section done by one energiser and another section operating another section.

Reactions: Frances144
As you know Dan is a little s}{!t for escaping but I’ve got him contained now, and I only have a single strand at his height, the thing in the end was the joules output of the energiser, the little 0.6j unit he ignored completely, 1.2j was ok so long as the battery/earth etc were all perfect, but the 5j one (on either mains or battery) he doesn’t even look at.
I use polywire specifically because it breaks if legs go through it, as Jess is inclined to do (she does it with any type of fence). She’s done it a lot and I’ve not had injury from it.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com