A longer hack today

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My OH kindly offered to pick up the second half of my shift today so I could get out for a ride. Sid and I went up Green Lane and then on a new route, on the sandy tracks and the Golden Mile to the Roman Temple. We trotted up most of the hills, except where he offered trot without being asked, when I corrected him to walk! He was keen and easy most of the way round, with only one serious OMF moment when we encountered 3 ladies in the Roman Temple car park, sitting behind their minivan (waiting for DoE kids) on camping chairs and chatting away. I think it scared him because to begin with he could only hear them, not see them, and when he saw them they weren't doing what he expected them to be doing. So he spun and snorted and tried to trot off, but as before a firm seat and a determined rein were enough to keep him on track. The ladies thought his dragon snorts were very funny.

We met all the DoE boys with their flappy maps and neon backpack covers: he was all right with them on a broad path and not so happy on a narrow path, but he didn't make a meal of it.

After about 45 minutes of walk and trot his feet were getting tired and so were my ankles! So I led him the rest of the way, which was handy when I was suddenly struck by the most awful stomach upset. I hung his reins over a fence post and darted into the bracken for an emergency stop. He looked down at me hiding there with great interest, and stood calmly until I got back to him.

The only other excitement was 10 minutes from home when the saddle slipped right round (I had loosened the girth for the walk home). Sid didn't like that at all and bucked and skittered, but steadied as soon as I spoke to him and let me sort him out.

About 1 hr 15 in total. All good!

Poor you with the stomach upset. I avoid afternoon rides and walks because I had a nigtmare time while sent out on long bike rides as a child.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Bless him, kids with rucksacks and maps have always been jess’ nemesis, until they talk to her then they’re ok! And what a good boy with the saddle slipping, that could easily have gone bad.

We encountered the D of E lads out backpacking our neck of the woods last weekend. All with different coloured covers. Funnily enough Billy was fine with them. I shortened my reins in readiness for spokes and he never batted an eyelid.
Ive learnt not to loosen the girth if i get off to walk. The saddles slipped on Chunky a few times with him being so round. Plus where his one shoulder is lower it allows it to slip easily.

I saw a notice yesterday on our regular hack route for some cycling event next weekend. That could be fun 100s of bikers. They say they will be putting up signs for it next week. Im not sure exactly which paths or roads is going to be on, it didnt say exactly. So i foresee Billy spoking at the signs or the bikers. Might have to have to avoid the area.

newrider.com