A hacking lesson on Mattie. Ear shots!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
A couple of days ago I finally managed to get out with my RI for a hacking lesson on Mattie.

He is such a lovely boy and she commented on how well he looks, though he is stiff behind as always. He is also still getting used to being barefoot, which makes him a little easier to manage! But I hopped off about half a mile before the end as he was picking his way and I don't like him to be sore.

He couldn't be more different from Ziggy in temperament but interestingly they have the same issues about lifting their heads and dropping their backs when they go into trot or canter. So I have to do the same work to keep his withers and croup apart and help him lower his head. Plus he hates having any pressure on his head at all, and I'm trying gently to educate him to accept contact.

Nothing special to report really, other than a nice hack, but I though you might enjoy some ear shots. I always thought Arabs were supposed to have little ears like leafs, but Mattie has long liver chestnut Arab donkey ears. He loves hacking so usually they are braced forward, but when I ask him to do something he tries hard and they go all droopy :inlove:

Also a picture of him ready to set off. I do think he is a lovely lady's hack.

Attachments

• Mattieears1.jpg
    Mattieears1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Mattieears2.jpg
    Mattieears2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Mattieears3.jpg
    Mattieears3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Mattiehack.jpg
    Mattiehack.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
Nice, he has a lovely coloured mane, looks light he's had highlights put into it!lol. He is indeed a lovely ladies hack. Very envious.

I love liver chestnuts,such an understated and yet stunning colour.

Glad you are still enjoying him and getting to ride while Ziggy is having a holiday:smile:

He is rather gorgeous, I didn't know you had an Arab either :unsure: for some reason I thought Mattie was a pony.

newrider.com