Nicolas Bernard

May 3, 2016
****UPDATE 18.5.16****

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and advice. I have had three lessons since I posted this thread and i'm so pleased to say that I've overcome the issues! I can now keep the horse going whilst doing rising trot AND steering at the same time! On my last lesson I even did my first canter and oh my goodness what an amazing feeling! What I have learned is that after every lesson there is always something that you know you can improve on, it's just wanting to get back in the saddle and improve.. that is the main thing. I know for sure that I am becoming addicted to riding, it's all I can think about!

I had my 4th lesson today and it is the first one I didn't really enjoy. On my second lesson I had pretty much got the knack of rising trot and my RI said I was quite a natural and picking up fast.

On this lesson today we focused on steering whilst doing rising trot and I found it very difficult. Firstly my Pony did not seem to want to do anything today, she would not get going and then when she did start trotting we hardly made one round before she would go into a walk. Is there anything I am doing wrong which is why she will not keep going or is she just being lazy?

My instructor said I need to use my legs to keep her going but I am so confused how to do this? It seems there is no time to use my legs whilst I am rising and sitting?

I am also struggling with the reigns. I find it very hard to keep the horse going whilst trying to do rising trot and steering at the same time. I noticed that I began to struggle with the reigns after the instructor introduced the whip. It all seems very overwhelming all of a sudden and I'm worried I won't be able to coordinate all the things you need to do at the same time. What I really want to know, is will it get easier and does it just come with practice? I felt so amazing in my previous lesson trotting along and today it has made me frustrated!

Last edited:
Learning rising trot is one of the big steps in learning to ride - it takes time! Can you drive a car? Do you remember what it was like trying to co-ordinate steering wheel, gears, brakes and accelerator all at once? Then suddenly it's easy. Trotting's the same.... Most people say that in the early stages you should squeeze while you sit because it's easier to keep your balance that way, and that when you're more experienced you should squeeze when you rise because that is clearer for the horse. But a lot of people say it doesn't really matter which you do at this stage, and those are the ones I'd agree with.

You don't really need to worry about rising - just let the pony move you, forward and back, not up and down. Then maybe it will be easier to hold the reins steady, and manage the whip if the instructor has given it toyou.

It's hard to know why the pony was reluctant to go forward without actually seeing you riding - there could be a million reasons: she's tired, she feels you're unbalanced, she doesn't understand what you're asking, or she does understand and chooses not to bother ... But I can assure you that it will get easier, and it does come with practice. Four lessons is not really very many in the scheme of things!

Don’t be disheartened. It takes a very long time to develop a secure seat and to be able to coordinate all of these things together. Ideally a horse shouldn’t need to be kept going at any pace, I school mine that I ask forward a gear/pace they stay in that pace until told otherwise, if not and you keep having to squeeze them on you risk them becoming lazy and behind the leg. Every single horse is different. They all feel and ride differently and it’s worth remembering that and also that every instructor will have a slightly different idea or way of getting you to do things. If I were you, I would ask for a few lessons on the lunge so that you can concentrate on yourself, your position and rising, without having to worry about the horse. even very advanced riders still have lessons on the lunge from time to time. Good luck :)

I'm a new rider aswell ;) and to be honest, I'm still getting the knack of it, but yh you do really have to use your legs to keep them going XD one way my instructor got me to get used steering is setting up various poles where the jumps usually are, and making me circle round them, do figure of 8's, teardrops, serpentines etc.. Also as stated above lunge lessons are really helpful, which is what I'm doing on canter currently :) good luck xx

What I really want to know, is will it get easier and does it just come with practice? I felt so amazing in my previous lesson trotting along and today it has made me frustrated!

Yes absolutely yes! The way you are feeling is 100% normal; it seems like all too many things to do at once and there's no way you could possibly do it, and then eventually it becomes second nature. Frustration and disappointing rides are normal even for experienced riders; what my instructor says is that you take something away from every ride. Even if you didnt achieve what you wanted to, you have something to think about, dissect what went wrong and have a plan on how to improve it next time.

Lazy horses are difficult - and more so for beginners who havent built up the muscles in their legs yet to keep the horse going forward. It took a couple of months of weekly lessons - so at least 8 lessons I reckon - before I could keep lazy Leroy in an active trot. But the thing is usually those lazy ones are the ones we can depend on not to do anything silly when we are trying to learn the basics.

Do keep at it - it will get better!

You sound like you are doing really well but yes - don't worry it really does get much easier with practise! Also remember that beginners are often given horses who are not at all forward going! It is for good reason - because if a rider accidentally give them a signal to canter say - they don't react but wait and make sure the beginner really means it - but it can make them hard to get moving.

There is a surprising amount of co-ordination needed isn't there? It's the fact that t sn't straightforward and doesn't work perfectly every time that keeps me going at it and trying to improve. The learning curve is quite steep and you will continue to have the odd "off" lesson, though they will get fewer and further apart. Just remember you learn at least as much from something going badly as from somethimg going well. Maybe decide what was the thing that you most want to work on, whether it is reins, or legs or whip - be very specific amd focused- and give that area extra concentration in your next lesson. If you can claim even a tiny thing for yourself it will make you feel so much more positive. And enjoy the journey!

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and advice. I have had two lessons since I posted this thread and i'm so pleased to say that I've overcome the issues! I can now keep the horse going whilst doing rising trot AND steering at the same time! On my last lesson I even did my first canter and oh my goodness what an amazing feeling! What I have learned is that after every lesson there is always something that you know you can improve on, it's just wanting to get back in the saddle and improve.. that is the main thing. I know for sure that I am becoming addicted to riding, it's all I can think about!

@Nicolas Bernard really glad you got through your issues! I remember when I first started riding (not even a year ago) and I had the same questions, not sure what it is, but things just sort of sort themselves out with practice and guidance. So well done to you - what I found helped me most was learning to feel balanced, comfortable and almost 'natural' in my seat.

@LindaAd That video was really good! I shouldn't - but I just watched it at work and now I just want to get out there and ride!

You get used to the addicted feeling ;) you are now and officially hooked :D also canter just feels great doesn't it, I'm starting to practice staying and sitting to the canter whilst steering now :)

newrider.com