2022 post a photo today

@horseandgoatmom I hope the other turkeys are ok. Did you take those pics today? You didnā€™t get any snow?

We were 75 degrees Saturday and woke up to this, this morning. We had about six inches with a lot of drifting. The man door was froze shut

I had to push snow to open the paddock gate, something thatā€™s never happened in 18 years of living here. Other parts of my county got about ten inches which is not common for us.

F6442F57-9CB0-4E37-9BC4-9BEB1D691436.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Yes I took the photos this afternoon
You had bigger temp swings than us.

We were near 50f over the weekend low 20,s all day today heading for 16f tonite
The snow went more south of us only the coast cape and islands are getting it.

Wed is supppsed to be warm again w rain
Then several inches snow Thursday pm and Friday.

Its a pretty photo but frozen doors are
A pain.

I hope the other turkeys are ok.
I love seeing them..

In the evening for a few weeks there have been a lot of
Coyote fights back off inthe woods.
It's a scary sound.

I hope they are not getting all the turkeys.
I hope even in winter they go into the trees at dusk.

But the creepy coyotes are definitely fighting over something.

Reactions: Huggy and Lollykay
Kinley must like his coat, if he is keeping it on. I gotta say, he sure looks cutešŸ˜˜

We were at 15(F) at 7:00 AM. We at least have full sun and if we are lucky, might make it into the 40ā€™s, lol. Itā€™s supposed to be 50- something and full sunshine Wednesday, the. We can expect a big cool down with more snow-mixed-with-rain on Thursday, lollol

@Sparky Lily your Beagles are precious. I think Beagles are probably the cutest grown up dog. my neighbor ended up adopting a Beagle who spent the first part of his young life tied to a porch. Little Gus is a doll face escape artist and sometimes comes to our farm, then I have to call his mom and tell her the he pushed right thru his electric fence and heā€™s on the movešŸ˜‚

I think he enjoys the part about them having to find him, bring him home, give him a bath, and put him on his bed in front of the fireplace.

His name is ā€œLittle Gusā€ because another neighbor had a Lab/Blue Heeler rehomed to her and his name is also Gus - aka Big GusšŸ˜‚. Just about every dog living on farms on this road are either rescues or rehomes. Nobody shoots dogs around here, they either get taken in or Animal Control gets called.

Last edited:
Lollykay...We got to 28f. and its hanging there . Tonite will drop to 27f then start to
Go up towards morning.
It will go into the 40,s w rain.

We still have snow due Friday but the news people are being really closed mouthed still as to the amount.

Accuweather shows sbout 4 inches

Your going down so low on your temp is
HORRIBLE..
You are quite a bit further south than me.

Omg did you see the HUGE mess of stranded vehicles on RT 95 in
VIRGINIA caused by a chain reaction at the front.. that was quite bad.

Reactions: Lollykay
I love the look of beagles. Quite fancy one myself.
They are not the easiest of breeds: selective hearing (no recall and when they get on a scent, they will follow it wherever), far too intelligent and houdinis. Also most affectionate, entertaining and great companions. We would not get one until we retired and had more time at home - they can make their own entertainment! I love the breed, and my own two in particular. If they suit your lifestyle, nothing better.

Lollykay...We got to 28f. and its hanging there . Tonite will drop to 27f then start to
Go up towards morning.
It will go into the 40,s w rain.

We still have snow due Friday but the news people are being really closed mouthed still as to the amount.

Accuweather shows sbout 4 inches

Your going down so low on your temp is
HORRIBLE..
You are quite a bit further south than me.

Omg did you see the HUGE mess of stranded vehicles on RT 95 in
VIRGINIA caused by a chain reaction at the front.. that was quite bad.
I cannot believe those folks have been stuck on I-95 for 24 hours and counting by now. This is turning into a health hazard if they donā€™t get traffic moving. People needs meds, babies are in some of those vehicles, nobody can use the bathroom, and the list goes onšŸ˜°šŸ˜°

If the transportation department were thinking, they would get hold of some 4-wheeler and snowmobile clubs. Those groups could at least deliver water and even take people in poor health somewhere. Even if it means abandoning the car. I would rather have my car towed away, than to have them find me not breathing in it, and they would have to tow it anyway.

We are supposwd to see 51 degrees tomorrow but the freezing rain returns Thursday. Our meteorologists still donā€™t know how much snow we will see. It depends just where the front of the cold front lands.

My farrier is coming tomorrow morning, so I will at least have that done on a decent day. I am going to wear double N95 masks because she isnā€™t sure if she is just sick or has some form of Covid. My life long friend up in PA lost a brother-in-law AND his 53 year old son to Covid, within days of each other. My brother, his wife (an RN), and his daughter all ended up with the omicron variant over Christmas. My nephew is fine so far, as he lives by himself at the family farm. We have all three vaccines but Yepper, I am wearing two masks for the farrier visit tomorrow, lollol

That situation on 95 is awful.
The accident started it but everyone was stuck behind it with no way to get off.

My farrier was in quarrentine til Tues.
I told him I wanted a good amount of time past that the horses feet look ok.

When he does come I'm staying well away.
We have not re set anything up yet.

I always try to not get too close we both mask up
But this time I'm tying both horses at the fence with a hay bag and staying well away.

I hope you don't get close since your farrier is actively sick.

I don't know how symptomatic mine was.

The new people are still closed mouth about how much snow here Friday.
We are supposed to have rain later.

Did you hear about lots of DEER testing positive with covid...I think it was Iowa or Indiana..
That seems insane.
How many people...let alone POSITIVE people interact in really close contact
WITH WILD DEER.

It really doesn't seem possible.
1. Not until you mentioned it, so I googled . It seems deer have also tested positive in Oklahoma and Ohio, so Iā€™m sure itā€™s just a matter of time until every state sees it in the deer population. I think itā€™s a ā€different but sameā€ virus that causes Covid in humans. I didnā€™t read the entire article.

2. My farrier postponed until Sunday. She was put on 12 hour shifts at the hospital. I think she is just plain sick from being run down, trying to keep her horse clients and work all these hospital hours. Iā€™m not sure how long she can keep working two such grueling jobs. She was already so thin a good wind could blow her away. You bet Iā€™ll be double-masked and keep my distance anyway.

I donā€™t know what I will do if she has to quit trimming/shoeing as I had to give up trimming nine years ago and nobody else around here is worth a pinch of salt where Jokerā€™s needs are concerned.

3. Weather ā€” our meteorologists are already winding up about Thursdayā€™s weather, lollol. As usual, my area is supposed to get more ice than snow. My countyā€™s overall elevation is about 260 feet. We sit at the peek of our road which is 904ā€™ and the house sits even higher. Itā€™s a two mile climb with one hill really dicey, lollol. Its only been twice in the first few winters weā€˜ve lived here , that DH has had to beach the truck at the bottom of that hill and I had to pick him up on the 4-wheeler.

There never has been winter maintenance on this road, so everyone either learns to drive or ditches. One year I saw a Ford Ranger sitting way down in the bottom of the neighborā€™s cow pasture because they missed the hairpin turn at the top of that iced over hill and went thru the fence, lollol. Itā€™s funny because the truck miraculously stayed upright during the slide and nobody was hurt.

Anyway, we are supposed to see ice first, then snow but nobody knows how much snow and itā€™s supposed to bottom out at eight degrees Friday morning. Ask me how glad I am that the first fifty years of my life were on the OH/PA border, so managing the horses welfare in this weather is still stored on closet shelf of my brain . They have plenty hay, heated water tubs, and get shut in at night. I bark orders and DH lovingly does ā€œthe bobbing dog headā€ if I canā€™t do something myselfšŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜.

Yes the deer thing must be similar but different.
Deer don't readily interact w people.

Wow that's a lot to keep up with
I hope you don't have to try to look for someone else.
I do most of the goats but not the horses.
Lincoln has gotten so big and with his neck you can't put a collar etc on him
Its too much to try to restrain him.
I now have the vet do him.

She and vet tech can safely restrain him
And get him done.

Wow thats quite a change in height I bet that hill us nasty.
We are about 600ft here.
There are 3 options out the worse being the direct route to the main road directly down this road with a steep hill down to the narrow bridge and back up.
Then really steep where it hits the main road

The 33 acres in the next town is up at the top ofca hill
Close to 800 ft and just shy of the highest point in the state at 811 ft.

We don't generally get a lot of ice.

Next Tuesday is supposed to be really bad
Temperature wise with a high of
16f.

newrider.com