2021 Hacking and Riding

Well, something has got Hogans dander up. He came in this morning all nervy again, barely touched his hay and kept looking towards the barn door. I think it may be the new cat - it's very timid and feral, so I think he's picking up on that. His twitchiness carried onto our ride, and though he didn't do anything terrible, he was on edge. One large spook, and a little hop and buck when I asked for trot. I think he knows I'm not bothered now, and he trotted up well when I pushed through the silliness. We were very lucky to get back before the rain.

Hmmm maybe the cat is winding him up.

No play here the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Things finally cleared late yesterday but got quite windy.

Its still windy making nasty windchills.
It will not get above freezing today or tomorrow and with the wind it will be nasty windchills.

Tonite some snow will start into tomorrow.. not a huge amount then a mix to rain Christmas day.

The first halfway decent day will be Sunday.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
Just a wander round the village with his buddy today. Very relieved to say he was great. Christmas Eve we did the exact same ride in the same company and he was just ever so slightly ott and naughty 😈 He was ok till he did a spectacular over the top spook and I told him off. After that everything was out to get him and he was just horrid the rest of the way home. I got myself hugely upset and decided his hocks must have been upsetting him.

Today we just had the odd normal spook so whatever was upsetting him seems to have been forgotten thank goodness. Even at the point where he had lost the plot. Just before there there were 3 squirrels which I thought would be the catalyst but they were just noticed with mild interest 🤷‍♀️

I went out on Sid yesterday for a little potter, only 20 minutes, really to be sure that he was OK to tack up and get on before his sharer rides him tomorrow.

Well, he was just fine. Grumpy to tack up, but no more than usual, and his usual complaint self out and about. We took his new field mate Bella, with her owner leading her, for a 10 minute spin up and down, and Sid was steady as a rock even when 2 big motorbikes came past. They turned off their engines politely as we went by - then fired up and blatted up the road once we were 5m away! Bella skittered but Sid didn't even react. Such a good boy.

Proof that we do occasionally school! We ended up giving the very backwards 4yo a lead around the school in canter. Robin thought this was a great idea especially as people were watching. Also they were cheering the 4yo who was cantering which Robin believed was all for him. Even trotted and cantered over a few poles which he also thought was a great idea.
1B1AF71E-E3B7-4D73-9EFB-DB32ED6CEEB5.png

It was so calm and lovely today it would have been criminal not to try and do something with Zi. It's THREE months since he was tacked up! Yikes. But he's not porked out and the saddle went on fine and bridle. However, he was a bit put out as he definitely thought he'd retired. So OH and me just did some gentle in hand work with him in the school, at first he was a bit like "yeah, go on make me" but settled down fine. I actually think he enjoyed it. So walked him back in his tack and then removed it, he made a left to the field and got down for some serious rolling. I think he earned it lol He's been shrouded up in his rug for a few days as it's been cold. Anyway, it's a start isn't it. Who knows, one day I might actually progress to getting back on board:rolleyes:

Blimmey @Trewsers both our horses have excelled themselves today. I got the carriage out and took Chunky for a carriage drive. Only 2 miles as it was getting late. Last time he was in it was 8th August. He did tense when i turned him to put too, but once in he just took to it like it was only yesterday.
Took Billy out for and inhand walk only a mile. Think he was happy to go out. Thankfully he plodded down the road. Was a bit more forward walking home but at least there was no silly antics or arm stretching. Hesbeen walked out 2 days in a row.

Both were chilled which surprised me as they were both on there toes this morning whilst i fed the sheep. Think that fresh clip was making Chunky feel good.

A nice long weekend for me
Friday was a nice day so A and I had a longer hack. The bridleways were all very wet so we stayed on the roads.

Saturday was Christmas :) All liveries have to do their own horses on Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years Day, and part liveries have to do the bank holidays too. YO has 2 of her own and 2 on schooling livery so I was up early to help with turnout and do some extra mucking out. It rained all morning but stopped in the afternoon so YO and I went out for a short hack.

Sunday was the same routine except I took Harvey in the school for a jump. He was a bit silly - he decided he couldn't go near F (the dressage marker on the school wall) so it took a little while. After that one of the liveries wanted company for a hack so I took the young mare who is in for schooling to give her some experience.

Monday was a day off for Harvey as I have quite a few days off and its not fair to ride him every day (as he normally only gets ridden 3 days a week ATM)

On Tuesday we had hired a local indoor school which I hadn't ridden in before and 4 of us went to play. Harvey went well for a while but then they started changing a tyre outside using noisy air tools which pretty much stopped play as he then wouldn't go that end of he school. I managed to fall off twice before I decided it was best to give up!

PC284783-X2.jpg

PC284682-X2.jpg

PC284799-X2.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
3 hours

Schooling
1hour 20

Totals
Schooling
32 hours 05

Hacking
451 miles
143 hours 15

Friday was a nice day so A and I had a longer hack. The bridleways were all very wet so we stayed on the roads.

Saturday was Christmas :) All liveries have to do their own horses on Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years Day, and part liveries have to do the bank holidays too. YO has 2 of her own and 2 on schooling livery so I was up early to help with turnout and do some extra mucking out. It rained all morning but stopped in the afternoon so YO and I went out for a short hack.

Sunday was the same routine except I took Harvey in the school for a jump. He was a bit silly - he decided he couldn't go near F (the dressage marker on the school wall) so it took a little while. After that one of the liveries wanted company for a hack so I took the young mare who is in for schooling to give her some experience.

Monday was a day off for Harvey as I have quite a few days off and its not fair to ride him every day (as he normally only gets ridden 3 days a week ATM)

On Tuesday we had hired a local indoor school which I hadn't ridden in before and 4 of us went to play. Harvey went well for a while but then they started changing a tyre outside using noisy air tools which pretty much stopped play as he then wouldn't go that end of he school. I managed to fall off twice before I decided it was best to give up!

PC284783-X2.jpg

PC284682-X2.jpg

PC284799-X2.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
3 hours

Schooling
1hour 20

Totals
Schooling
32 hours 05

Hacking
451 miles
143 hours 15
Two greys together there!
Lovely horses.
Sorry you fell off, hope you are okay.

Reactions: GaryB

PC284783-X2.jpg

PC284682-X2.jpg

PC284799-X2.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
3 hours

Schooling
1hour 20

Totals
Schooling
32 hours 05

Hacking
451 miles
143 hours 15
Hope you're not too sore!

Well that's a week of no riding for me and Hogan. It's either been Christmas, weather or me feeling a bit off that's prevented it. I did get up to go yesterday, but it had obviously rained in the small hours and atm he's not just wet ( I do sometimes put a saddle on a damp back) but muddy too, which of course I can't brush out. In retrospect, I should have just led him out - I'll do that tomorrow if I have to. Not one dry day for 10 days and counting.

No play or anything here the Weather and ground hasn't cooperated.
It's been lumpy bumpy frozen ground.
Freezing rain .snow . Ice. Sleet
Most nites
But thankfully no big snow amounts.

I got 2 more 3 step mounting blocks for Christmas
To put one up on the grassy hill under the tress
And one for new rd pen from last year.

That pen had a turned on edge 2 step
That wasn't great.

We have a bit of warmer temps the thru Sunday pm before the bottom drops out on temps again
It comes with rain
BUT I'LL TAKE IT.
To having snow.

OMG out west...LAKE TAHOE HAD 190 INCHES ALREADY

One 24 hour period had 39 inches.

You really have to like snow and winter to live there.

Still miserable unpleasant weather.
With little improvement in sight.
Its been extended misty rainy drizzley
Weather.
Thankfully its not bitter cold.
It was o vis pea soup fog last nite beyond creepy.
Going to the grocery store you could not see this road out here.
Thankfully the main road had a yellow center line and a white line running along the edge.
Tomorrow will be a washout with rain
But at least its not snow.
It will be very warm

Today is supppsed to be warm and mostly dry later into tonite.

But ugh BAD NEWS
my farrier tested positive hes in bloody quarrentine he was supposed to come today.
Bummer cause later today may have been the first bit of dryer more decent weather
For a few hours.

Thank god there feet look good so a delay won't be a problem.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Started the year well with a lovely hack. I haven't ridden for 10 days and although Hogan was a bit reluctant to start, he ended up going really nicely. A bonus that it was a beautiful morning for once. He looked very unwilling to come to me when I went to bring him in, but I think he was secretly quite pleased to be doing something!Screenshot_20220101-101726_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220101-132844_Gallery.jpg

Very windy today but quite sunny so we went out. He was very happy and enjoying himself. It was nice to just go out on our own as I’m feeling very sensoryied (I know that’s not a word!) out. We past a garden with a mirror in it. Instead of spinning and saying nope he actually stopped and looked at it. We still snorted and bananed past but I was pleased with him.

newrider.com