2021 Hacking and Riding

Well, who'd have thunk it? Dry this morning, but a bitterly cold wind. And one very well behaved cob. We had a lovely time, lots of trotting - a bit lookey lookey, but a little gent. I was quite tense when we set off, expecting a repeat performance, but relaxed after our first trot. We did lots of halts and a couple of rein backs and he did very well. With Hogan, the trick is not to win an argument, but to make him think you won. Screenshot_20211021-114123_Gallery.jpg

Well I'll stay clean then lol.
Not an option for me. I dont feel obliged to canter every ride, but I do need to keep my hand in. I was locked down for a year and the first canter after I resumed riding was a bit hairy. RI said breezily that one doesnt forget how to canter but I was not stable. I dont like scaring myself.
And the other thing is that now I have got the hang of her, I do enjoy a nice canter and she is utterly safe.

Not an option for me. I dont feel obliged to canter every ride, but I do need to keep my hand in. I was locked down for a year and the first canter after I resumed riding was a bit hairy. RI said breezily that one doesnt forget how to canter but I was not stable. I dont like scaring myself.
And the other thing is that now I have got the hang of her, I do enjoy a nice canter and she is utterly safe.
I'd love to enjoy a canter on Hogan - he's such a stubborn little so and so, but I can't deny he has a super trot - once he gets going! OH has seen us a few times in the forest while dog walking, and he said it's a lovely sight, with Hogan's feathers flying!

Lovely ride this morning. I so nearly didn't go, I had to give myself the equivalent of a massive Pony Club kick. But Sid was great. He still doesn't like saddling and girthing so I am using treats to help him behave himself and it makes things much less stressful for both of us. Once we get out, though, he is so lovely. His walk has slowed down a bit but his trot is great, light and bold, and today we had a lovely little canter too.

Also we met two little girls - one 3, one 5 - who had non horsey parents but were spellbound by Sid. He was sweet to them, arching his neck and pricking his ears when they stroked him. A good ambassador for horsekind.

Jane & Ziggy
YES he's a beefy old style Quarter Horse.
But he doesn't have any IMPRESSIVE
lines in him.

I can't remember the name of the muscle problems but they had all been traced
back to IMPRESSIVE.

His first job was a roping horse.
His second job was a pony horse on a race track.
Then I got him 13 years ago hes 26.

You can always tell a European race horse on the tracks here.
They make their own way alone to the starting gates.
American race horses are always ponied out to the gate.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
It took me a while to realise Robins canter was just a BIG canter and his natural canter out hacking was not him taking off. When I first rode him when I viewed him I must have looked like a right idiot when I felt his movement!

The lady who evented him kept telling me a forward canter out hacking was the best feeling ever and I must try it. I was terrified. Until I did it. And she was right. The best feeling ever. I might not have brakes half way up the hill but he always stops at the top 😍

Another good one today, despite the notorious Shetland pony everyone tries to avoid being in the inclosure. He usually follows and pesters riders, but luckily he ignored us today. The awful lazy spell Hogan was having has well and truly passed, so we're having much better rides. Isn't it nice when someone admires your horse? We met a chap who waxed lyrical over Hogan - thought he was beautiful and had "presence". That was probably because his dog had a bell on, so Hogan was on high alert! It does round the ride off though, getting a compliment.Screenshot_20211024-114738_Gallery.jpg

I had a lovely ride today too. Out with a friend, which I haven't historically done very often but really enjoy. We had 2 great canters - the first one I went into light seat and Sid said, "Yay, are we going for a gallop?" He lowered his neck and stretched out. He may be a fat cob but he has a big motor in the back there. It felt great, but my friend wouldn't have been impressed by us leaving her to eat our dust, so I asked him to go back to canter, please. And he did. He is SUCH A GOOD BOY.

newrider.com