2021 Hacking and Riding

A pleasant 4 mile hack out with the boys this morning. Billy was actually well behaved for not being ridden since last weekend. I even had a canter up the roadside grass verge and Billy cantered nicely. At one point he asked to go faster and i said no, a little pull on the reins and he said ok i wont. Not the usual pulling arms out the sockets. Wont last long im sure but when hes good i like him. Whoops did i just say that. Roll back a month with his silly bucking antics ride.

Lucky with the weather today - cloudy but dry! Hogan very good, but a tad lazy (surprise!!!). I stayed out longer because of that, and he perked up a bit so we ended on a good note. As we were trotting up the track home, which runs parallel to the inclosure, there was a bit of a commotion in the inclosure. I didn't see what happened, but a mans voice shouted really loudly, and suddenly I could hear thundering hooves. Two riders burst out of the trees full gallop. They pulled up and turned and went back, so I think something spooked them. Apart from staring at them and walking into a tree, Hogan was a star. The tree scared him more than they did.Screenshot_20210801-211145_Gallery.jpg

We managed a 4 miler with the boys this afternoon after the cows tb test was done. Snuck in another canter up the roadside field margin. Billy was a bit more forward than yesterdays canter but i felt like i was still in control, although i could feel a bit more fight in him when i asked him to slow down.
Coming back through the woodland track theres a little down hill before a small 60m good flat surface ideal to have a few strides of canter along. I was behind. Chunky was down the mini hill onto the flat. I was still decending. Chunky launches into canter, Billys like hes off. Quick mum need to go, im off, oh, cant canter, its uncomfortable as im going downhill so lets throw in a buck for good measure.
I find it so uncomfortable when he bucks going downhill. If your not with his motion as he does it, you almost get a whiplash effect.

Started to rain just as we got near to home. Got back boys in undercover untacking and the heavens opened and it poured. Phew. Would have got soaked.

I rode this morning. I didn't have long so we did the route with 2 steep uphills to get him puffing.

He really didn't want to go out - moved away from the saddle and the mounting block - but then was good. I think he is way too comfortable in his field! We did the hills at a smart walk or a trot if he preferred and had two or three good long trots within the 40 odd minutes we were out.

A couple of earshots from the tracks:

tempImageTtmhRy.pngtempImageK7nAKc.png

I led him down the steep gully to save his tootsies on the road. He was happy about that

tempImageRexkGH.png

And we discovered something that horses like to eat: sphagnum moss, one of my favourite plants on the Heath.

tempImageCTeaTU.png

Friday was a trip to our local XC course with my friend A. It had rained all night so the ground was a bit slippy so we had to be pretty careful (no studs). Harvey was in a strange mood - he spent the first 45 minutes staring off into the distance at something only he could see, and I had real trouble getting him going. It was A's first time XC on her new share with one exception. In the first 5 minutes we tried a tine step down into water (15cm ish) and he launched himself off and dumped her in the water, so she spent the rest of the time soaked through. Fortunately she had brought a spare top and could change to go back, but I nearly melted having the heating high to keep her warm!

I didn't ride on Saturday as I was feeling a bit off colour. Sunday was a nice hack over the hill with 2 other liveries.

I can't find a way to embed videos (at least not from my photo sharing site) - anyone know how?

XC Video 1 - roll top

XC video 2 - Trakhener

XC video 3 - ditch and rolltop

XC video 4 - last play

Hacking
2 hours
6.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
16 hours 15

Hacking
274.5 miles
82 hours 10

Friday was a trip to our local XC course with my friend A. It had rained all night so the ground was a bit slippy so we had to be pretty careful (no studs). Harvey was in a strange mood - he spent the first 45 minutes staring off into the distance at something only he could see, and I had real trouble getting him going. It was A's first time XC on her new share with one exception. In the first 5 minutes we tried a tine step down into water (15cm ish) and he launched himself off and dumped her in the water, so she spent the rest of the time soaked through. Fortunately she had brought a spare top and could change to go back, but I nearly melted having the heating high to keep her warm!

I didn't ride on Saturday as I was feeling a bit off colour. Sunday was a nice hack over the hill with 2 other liveries.

I can't find a way to embed videos (at least not from my photo sharing site) - anyone know how?

XC Video 1 - roll top

XC video 2 - Trakhener

XC video 3 - ditch and rolltop

XC video 4 - last play

Hacking
2 hours
6.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
16 hours 15

Hacking
274.5 miles
82 hours 10
You are NR's xc King!

Just did another round of play focus was on halt at a particular spot.

Its getting really muggy out there now. After play I moved him to where he can wander I can see him a lot on camera but he can go in if he wants if the B52,S
Show up.
The horse flies are back here! Eeek, just because the sun dared to come out. It's been nice without them for a few days.

I rode this morning. I didn't have long so we did the route with 2 steep uphills to get him puffing.

He really didn't want to go out - moved away from the saddle and the mounting block - but then was good. I think he is way too comfortable in his field! We did the hills at a smart walk or a trot if he preferred and had two or three good long trots within the 40 odd minutes we were out.

A couple of earshots from the tracks:

View attachment 107797View attachment 107798

I led him down the steep gully to save his tootsies on the road. He was happy about that

View attachment 107799

And we discovered something that horses like to eat: sphagnum moss, one of my favourite plants on the Heath.

View attachment 107800
Lovely tracks

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
newrider.com