2021 Hacking and Riding

Well we managed a bit of in hand with Zi today - the wind dropped - nothing like yesterday thankfully. It was just warm and pleasant and he was really good even when Monster and Mackeral came to join in. Monster's idea of joining in is to lay himself out down the longside and when we approach roll over revolving (and not moving so we have to go around him!). Mackeral played at something similar but it was just nice to be able to do a bit of something. Slow and steady....................;)

Beautiful morning, glad I got up to go out. Hogan was a bit of a slowcoach today, and apart from a spook up the bank in the car park (someone opened their car door o_O ) he was a good boy. Met OH who insulted Hogan by telling him to man up and stop letting me put girly hats on him. Hogan responded by refusing to look at him. The forest is looking beautiful - I felt very lucky today 😍.Screenshot_20210623-104514_Gallery.jpg20210623_104159.jpg20210623_104341.jpg

WOO HOO I rode for the first time since
Last fall.

The weather was georgous today low humidity crisp cool air.

I let him have a couple hrs grass first
then rode in the cavaletti pen.
Nothing earth shattering but l got nice sidepasses and backup with no reins.
He got carrot treats. He was super.

Sadly the balls in there are deflated one really bad and it may be donewith..
The second one had air but not enough to safely play. If they really are not salvageable I get them at 5 below
For 5.00.
I was thrilled with today.

20210623_083408.jpg20210623_083714(0).jpg20210623_084053.jpg20210623_092926.jpg

After I let him eat outside the cavaletti pen where its mowed now.
I think he really likes rhe mowed area better.
2 cowbirds were creeping towards him.
If I had been further away they would have been right under him.

Last fall.

The second one had air but not enough to safely play. If they really are not salvageable I get them at 5 below
For 5.00.

View attachment 107131View attachment 107132View attachment 107133View attachment 107134

Yaye! Well done to you both. Has it really been that long?! How time flies. So pleased for you anyway.

Last fall.

For 5.00.

View attachment 107131View attachment 107132View attachment 107133View attachment 107134

I'll bet you felt on top of the world!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
This is why I've ended up on my own while out. In the early days with Hogan, someone near by asked to hack out together. We did, and despite me saying I was just walking until I'd got Hogan's measure, she cantered off twice. Cue complete meltdown from Hogan. When we got home she said would I like her to ride him and get the silly out of him? I was, all things considered, quite polite in my refusal, til she'd gone, then I went apoplectic.
I had no idea that this was a 'thing'... If you're hacking out with someone I don't understand why you'd want to put them at risk by going beyond what they are comfortable with :(

Only a short hack last night once it had cooled off. Max 2 miles. Made Billy listen and practice his transitions as we went along the track. So many low trees on the bottom track so transitions came fast or i got a face full. Trot between trees. Two strides of canter if your lucky. Back to walk to duck a low branch.

It happens more than one would like - I've had people go off cantering over narrow bridges, galloping (literally!) downhill and so on. I've stopped being polite about it, and with Hogan being a bit of a numpty anyway, it's safer to go out alone.

It happens more than one would like - I've had people go off cantering over narrow bridges, galloping (literally!) downhill and so on. I've stopped being polite about it, and with Hogan being a bit of a numpty anyway, it's safer to go out alone.

This riding off from someone else seems to be a thing at boarding barns everywhere, as I’ve read about this poor etiquette many times.:(

I am a retired die hard trail rider and that is all I have done my entire life. Even when I had to board my horses (divorces seem to make that happen), I never rode with anyone who rode off. Riding away from someone was considered very poor manners and if someone did join us that insisted on showing off in that manner, they weren’t invited back, and were told “no” if they asked to join.

That is all riding off is —- showing off. That’s how people get hurt, regardless if you‘re on a horse, a dirt bike, a snowmobile, etc. Our rule was we all stick together.

@horseandgoatmom I just love your horse, lollol. I am not surprised he rode off like his last ride was the day before. Even though you don’t have time to ride, I suspect you spend a lot of time with him.

Horses stay broke if they’re handled and played with a lot because we are constantly reminding them of their manners. After my last go-round with my back in 2011, I had to give up sliding down river embankments and digging up the other side. Its been nothing for me to not ride a few years, then get on one of the horses for five-ten minutes.

They always stand perfectly for me to get on, then walk off like the last ride was yesterday. Going down the road, however, would mean getting some spook out of them but their riding manners at home are impeccable - I just put a bridle on and get on; it’s a lot easier sliding off bareback, than trying to get over the that low rise cantle that doesn’t seem very low rise at the end of ten minutes, lol

Sonny is a good boy.
I had another great ride.
I found 2 new balls in the tack shed
I blew one up put that in the cavaletti pen
And re inflated the one that was down and put that in the new pen.
I played in the new pen with the ball

If it doesn't last with inflation ill use the orher new one.
He was super bopping it around but he knows there's treats involved.

Then I went out and rode in the arena a bit.

There are some large clumps of weeds but for now im using them as obstacles to circle around etc..
There is a clininician. ..STEVE LANDVIT
that was on RFD TV.
I liked him he was kind of down to earth.
The first show I ever saw of his was .
Using natural obstacles..
So there they are just waiting to be used..
At some point I'D Like a nice clear arena again.
But they were actually fun to use for now.

20210624_092618.jpg

20210624_092623.jpg20210624_093924.jpg20210624_093013.jpg

Lollykay..

I thought about bareback too but then Idon't have the pouch for my all important carrots .
And It might be easier to slide off but getting on would be much harder..

Getting off today was easier..

newrider.com