2021 Hacking and Riding

I wonder if your child rider actually wanted to trot? Or whether it was the horse's idea heading home?
No was definitely the rider. Chunky very rarely tries the im heading for home lets speed up. Thats what makes him such a good horse for a child to get on. Child has an electric bottom. She frequently says can we, which means can we trot. But sometimes she doesnt ask and just does it. I see the legs squeeze on the horse. She will learn.

Todays ride was much safer. Had been raining a bit so i decided to do a bit of a road hack so we didnt have to brave the low soggy trees on paths. All went well and we had a little trot and canter back up a field at the end.
She wanted to do a bareback ride so when we got back we untacked and i popped on a numnah and strap so we took chunky out again with me walking, so she went down to near the end of the road and trotted him back up whilst i waited at the car park, watching. Then i decided that we would go into my neighbours field where i have the sheep currently grazing. Its fenced so if she fell off horse couldnt go anywhere. I told her to walk down to the bottom cut across the field and trot/canter back up the footpath.
She did so well, i think i sent her down about 6 times, to trot and canter back up. She sat the transitons well, and didnt come off once. Poor chunky was a bit out of breath. But it probably did him the world of good. I think hes got fitter. I actually think since hes been back in work hes toned up a bit. Im sure i saw a couple of ribs yesterday.

A tiny bit of play today but its nasty.

I was drenched in Sweat and thankful I had a sweatband on my
head.. doing morning barn chores and that was BEFORE 6AM...

I put him in the big rd pen that keeps the shade the longest.
I went out for a little low ..really low key play just as the sun was going to creep in.
There were horse flies so I left his mask on..

At least we played a little and he was a good boy.

Tomorrow will be nasty too.
Then it will get better again.

I got out this morning before work as rain was forecast this afternoon. Only went on a 2.5 mile road ride as Billys had rides 6 days in a row. Hes getting the day off tomorrow. He was a bit lacking in enthusiasm. Had to cope with a massive removal lorry from new neighbours moving in down the bottom of my road. He wasnt too keen to go past it. But i had treats in my pocket so it took his mind off it. Step treat, step treat. Coming back he was much better about it. Few less brib treats required.

There is nothing wrong w making it worth his while.

Sonny totally hated the balls in the beginning.
He wasnt afraid he just wanted no part of them.
It didn't take long after he got treats to push it around.
I'd get on him he would make a b line for one of the balls.
We pushed them over low csvaletti..
Into tires. All sorts of things..
A little treat can go a long way... lol

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
It was grim, grey, windy and cold and I didn't feel like riding AT ALL! Ended up having a lovely ride, Hogan was at his best - forward and sensible, despite all of the above. I extended our outing to about an hour and a quarter and enjoyed every minute - I think he did too. AND .... my saddle and stirrups stayed totally level 😊Screenshot_20210622-110402_Gallery.jpg

There is nothing wrong w making it worth his while.

Sonny totally hated the balls in the beginning.
He wasnt afraid he just wanted no part of them.
It didn't take long after he got treats to push it around.
I'd get on him he would make a b line for one of the balls.
We pushed them over low csvaletti..
Into tires. All sorts of things..
A little treat can go a long way... lol
So true about the treats! When J was lame and on box rest I had no alternative but to ride Storm around the field they lived in. But I was nervous and I know she picked up on it, so I put some pieces of carrot in my pocket and hopped on. It worked really well - every time she hesitated she got her carrot and praise - well either that or it was my loud singing (not sure which!) but we cracked it and I remember even feeling bold enough to ask for canter down the long side of the field whilst J stood and watched us.

Got out for a ride up across the top this afternoon with the boys. Chunkys little rider was a bit naughty today and i did have to reprimand her. We were on our way out and she kept trotting on in front of me. Billy was a bit lack lustre so i didnt push him. I just asked him to walk quietly which he did. A bit further along the track she got further away from us and out of site. Billy got upset with that and tossed his head in frustration. At which point i had no alternative but to ask him to walk. If id have let him go he would have pulled me and cantered. I kept quiet and said nothing when i caught her up waiting at the gate.

Then on the way home coming up my road. She launches into trot and overtakes a cyclist. Cyclist had headphones in so was startled as she trotted past. I was back a bit behind the cyclist and saw she actually wobbled towards him a bit with chunky as she went past. Poor cyclist nearly fell off as it caused him to wobble to. But then he should not have had his headphones in on a public road. She trotted on 20 metres coming up to the bend in the road, i see one of the neighbours coming up his steep drive with a camper van. It was a bit noisy on the old engine as it is a mega steep drive. She should have stopped and pulled in the layby just befre but no trots on so neighbour had to stop. Ì knew Billy wouldnt tolerate it, sure enough as we got closer he started going sideways. Chunky was being trotted on round the bend in the road so went out of site. Guy turned the engine off as he could see billy was having a hissy, so i got past going sideways.
I calmed billy for a second then he was like where's my mate so then starts head tossing and bouncing, pulling, let me go. I'm like no you will have to walk. Chunky had been pulled up some 200 metres up the road. So when i caught up im afraid i told the girl that she was not to go trotting off like that again. Billy was having a hissy fit and I could have been thrown from the horse. When your riding with company you stay together. Especially when youve been told the horse has issues with large vehicles. I sincerely hope that the reprimand goes home.
This is why I've ended up on my own while out. In the early days with Hogan, someone near by asked to hack out together. We did, and despite me saying I was just walking until I'd got Hogan's measure, she cantered off twice. Cue complete meltdown from Hogan. When we got home she said would I like her to ride him and get the silly out of him? I was, all things considered, quite polite in my refusal, til she'd gone, then I went apoplectic.

A fun weekend for me.

Our weekday yard groom is an apprentice and found out that she needed to do some XC for her assessment so we went off to do some XC schooling. It was her first time, and her horses first time for 5 years so we kept to the smaller fences, but also played with the sunken road, platform, ditches and the water. Harvey was there as babysitter, but after a 6 month break it was good practice for us too.

Saturday was a gentle solo hack as Sunday was a SJ clinic. I have found a new coach (my normal coach is mostly running clinics mid week when I am at work) at a new venue. After a few navigation issues we arrived 5 minutes before the start, but luckily I had my young groom friend with me so still got in on time. We had a great lesson - I had booked in at 90cm, but told her I had previously jumped 100cm and the last few jumps were at 100cm so I was pretty pleased with myself

Warming up..
P6187346-X2.jpg

Harvey was a little keen!
P6187664-X2.jpg

P6187474-X2.jpg

This scoop was very dangerous and had to be snorted at
P6207732-X2.jpg

Warm up
P6207736-X2.jpg

P6207855-X2.jpg

P6207913-X2.jpg

And just to show its not all plain sailing my first time through the triple at 100cm I came out of the corner with nothing like enough impulsion, managed to just clear the first 2 elements and then Harvey virtually stopped at the third nearly sending me over on my own, and then somehow leapt it from almost a standstill. We nearly made it too, but not quite :)

P6207909-X2.jpg

Schooling
2 hours

hacking
1 hour
4 miles

Totals
Schooling
10 hours 25

Hacking
218 miles
64 hours 15

@Huggy that looks like a nice spot for a canter...
There's lots of lovely spots for a canter - I just need to put my big girl pants on! We were doing ok until the last hoolie, and my courage was all used up just going out, I will do it, and I think he'll be fine - just keep watching this space......😬

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com