2021 Hacking and Riding

Went out this morning, very forward boy, so I knew what was coming. Long trot, then got off BEFORE the nonsense. Sure enough, he got silly. I think I may have had a lightbulb moment. I've upped his feed, because we're low on hay, and this may be the problem. He wants to GO! He's not arguing with me, apart from wanting to go forward - very forward! Got on again, still forward but manageable. When we got to the yard, I turned him away from home, and his argument was just not to go. No rearing or bucking, just stationary. He eventually walked on for me, so we ended on a good note. I'm going to the feed store today, and buying pure grass food. He usually gets a teeny handful of molli, but he's been getting more recently - I know - pure sugar!!! Cross your fingers that I'm right.
Have you ever tried him on Happy Hoof or Dengie Healthy Hooves? Both do a molasses free version I'm sure. I think Zi was on that before he came to us. I reckon it could have something to do with his behaviour - sounds like it anyway. I know if Storm (of course she's not ridden now) eats too much Senior mix she can get very silly in hand - I give her a sprinkle (literally) of it to get her medication down mixed in with grass nuts.
I find Allen and Page very good for not firing them up too - and you can feed quite a lot of that if you are short on hay.

Have you ever tried him on Happy Hoof or Dengie Healthy Hooves? Both do a molasses free version I'm sure. I think Zi was on that before he came to us. I reckon it could have something to do with his behaviour - sounds like it anyway. I know if Storm (of course she's not ridden now) eats too much Senior mix she can get very silly in hand - I give her a sprinkle (literally) of it to get her medication down mixed in with grass nuts.
I find Allen and Page very good for not firing them up too - and you can feed quite a lot of that if you are short on hay.
Damn! Didn't read your post, and have just bought graze on! Oh well, I 'll give it a go - at least it really is just grass, so I may see a difference, if this is feed related.

Damn! Didn't read your post, and have just bought graze on! Oh well, I 'll give it a go - at least it really is just grass, so I may see a difference, if this is feed related.
I have graze on too - you'll probably find he gets bored with it before chance to eat to much, so it's good that they have it to chew on if need be but they don't tend to pig out on it. Least ours never do.

Took Hogan out today - 1st dry day that I've been free for over a week! Led and rode bareback, he's still a bit frisky. I have until Friday free, so will try to get him out wheneverthis godawful rain permits. He was pretty good really, so we shall see if continuity and frequency cure the naughties!

We managed a quick play about in hand today with Zi. Haven't done much lately as the sandschool has been frozen solid and the track leading down there has been awful too. Anyway he was reasonably good lol He managed to back up nicely too in a better fashion and we did lots of shapes and changes. All in hand, nothing on fire but it's a way of keeping our hand in with him so to speak. I think he quite likes the routine of it - you know having his bridle on and being groomed etc. And then he goes out after for a good roll. Then I have to groom him all over again.................. ?

Well this year isn't going very well riding wise

Firstly I've had some bad news about my foster ponies - I've been looking after them at the weekend for 18 months now as the owner is very poorly. She has now gone into a hospice but seems to have left no instructions for them. I think the 2 younger ponies will be sold. My old share horse is 21 now and retired so I think my fellow ex sharer and I are going to have to take him on - he deserves a nice retirement (seems mine will have to wait a bit longer!). We will actually continue to look after him regardless, but would rather not have to pay!

Two weekends ago was a complete wipeout. We had snow on the Saturday, and then more on Sunday. On Sunday I couldn't even get out of the estate so I have to ask for help with Harvey and the foster ponies. I've now had all season tyres fitted to the car so that should stop it snowing hard again!

Last weekend was so cold! On Saturday we had enough snow to make the roads dangerous to ridie on so I just rode for 15 minutes in the school. Sunday was better but not much so I had a short hack avoiding the hills and covered lanes

On the first snowy day the snow was wet rather than slidy so I turned Harvey out for some exercise for 10 minutes - which was all he wanted. Sadly I didn't get video of him bucking and rearing as I was too busy watching and keeping out of the way.

IMG_1066-X2.jpg

IMG_1068_HEIC-X2.jpg

I finally decided to take some video but Harvey decided that this was the point to come over with his from feet striking out everywhere and then rear right over my head. You might find this amusing

Video of me having to exit stage left

Schooling 15 minutes
Hacking
2.5 miles 50 minutes

Totals

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
13 miles
4 hours

Well this year isn't going very well riding wise

Firstly I've had some bad news about my foster ponies - I've been looking after them at the weekend for 18 months now as the owner is very poorly. She has now gone into a hospice but seems to have left no instructions for them. I think the 2 younger ponies will be sold. My old share horse is 21 now and retired so I think my fellow ex sharer and I are going to have to take him on - he deserves a nice retirement (seems mine will have to wait a bit longer!). We will actually continue to look after him regardless, but would rather not have to pay!

Two weekends ago was a complete wipeout. We had snow on the Saturday, and then more on Sunday. On Sunday I couldn't even get out of the estate so I have to ask for help with Harvey and the foster ponies. I've now had all season tyres fitted to the car so that should stop it snowing hard again!

Last weekend was so cold! On Saturday we had enough snow to make the roads dangerous to ridie on so I just rode for 15 minutes in the school. Sunday was better but not much so I had a short hack avoiding the hills and covered lanes

On the first snowy day the snow was wet rather than slidy so I turned Harvey out for some exercise for 10 minutes - which was all he wanted. Sadly I didn't get video of him bucking and rearing as I was too busy watching and keeping out of the way.

IMG_1066-X2.jpg

IMG_1068_HEIC-X2.jpg

I finally decided to take some video but Harvey decided that this was the point to come over with his from feet striking out everywhere and then rear right over my head. You might find this amusing

Video of me having to exit stage left

Schooling 15 minutes
Hacking
2.5 miles 50 minutes

Totals

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
13 miles
4 hours
They do get carried away don't they! I remember first time we free schooled J - OH got bitten as I think J was assuming he wanted to play like another gelding! I remember making a hasty retreat out of the school that day!

I went out again yesterday - pretty uneventful, but he's stiĺl a bit pushy. Then again, as we walked down the lane home, a huge tractor, trailering another huge tractor rumbled along behind us, and he was excellent. I've asked my friend to walk with us when I put his saddle back on, to see if she notices anything that might be causing the silliness.?

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
Weather shocking this morning, so no chance. However the sun came out lunchtime, so dashed up for a walk out. Hogan was soaking, so no saddle, but what a good boy! He was back to his old self, so I'm hoping that the change of diet is kicking in. Lovely walk out, and the rain tipped down just as I turned him back out!

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Got out for a ride on Billy this afternoon. Just about 3 miles. His head shaking was terrible so not the best ride.

Took Chunky out for 2.5 miles. Hes getting grumpy doing absolutely nothing so i decided he needed a little work.
Notice hes putting his ears back at Billy. Theres also been some legs coming off the ground from both. There just niggling each other. Hopefully the antics will stop now theyve been out.

Not much chance of doing anything other than getting through the days up here atm! It's really quite bad weather wise and the school, track leading down to it and most of the yard is either full of snow / slush or ice. Plus now we have the added misery of 40mph wind which isn't much really but it all adds into the miserable mix! I hope I can look back mid year on this post lol and wonder what all the fuss was about!

Sigh not much better here
Places not shoveled or blown are too deep for me to trudge thru

Ugh our winds are really bad today too.
It is sunny in the 30,s f but the bit of melting is making walking harder cause its not soaking in w the horrible cold we had before the snow.

So yes its mostly just getting by here too.

Play really isn't in the picture.

Managed a ride out on Billy this afternoon, only about 3 miles. No time to play with Chunky again. At least they were both chilled, not bickering with ears back when i got them in today. Thats because they both got exercise yesterday. Just shows that behavioural issues can start when they are lacking work.

newrider.com